• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Test servers in Bangalore

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Test servers in Bangalore

I was wondering what theme to use for the names for several servers we're setting up for a test team of Bobs in Bangalore.

In the past I've chosen English castles, such as windsor, corfe, chepstow, etc. But it's always nice to try something new, other than dreary and hard-to-remember "systematic" names such as bang02svr04 etc.

The thing is we really have to get this right first time, as these names will end up everywhere and be next to impossible to change later, and the Bobs with their limited knowledge of English won't want to starting chopping and changing once they are used to the old names.

In a moment of inspiration the solution came to me: Icelandic volcanoes. So they'll be called brennisteinsfjoll, eyjafjallajokull, and the controller theistareykjarbunga.

and the beauty is there are dozens more names to choose from, so they'll never run out.

Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I was wondering what theme to use for the names for several servers we're setting up for a test team of Bobs in Bangalore.

In the past I've chosen English castles, such as windsor, corfe, chepstow, etc. But it's always nice to try something new, other than dreary and hard-to-remember "systematic" names such as bang02svr04 etc.

The thing is we really have to get this right first time, as these names will end up everywhere and be next to impossible to change later, and the Bobs with their limited knowledge of English won't want to starting chopping and changing once they are used to the old names.

In a moment of inspiration the solution came to me: Icelandic volcanoes. So they'll be called brennisteinsfjoll, eyjafjallajokull, and the controller theistareykjarbunga.

and the beauty is there are dozens more names to choose from, so they'll never run out.

Much more challenging in the old days when we were limited to 6 letters.

We had Greek Titans, Precious stones and Thomas the Tank Engine reflecting the interests of a succession of systems managers.

Comment

Genius
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

One big multinational uses star trek characters, places, and so on

Comment

How about CUK posters user name, I can see the alert email now:

Norrahe is unstable
          MarillionFan is bloated
          Mudskipper has gone down on us again
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I like planets of the solar system. Nothing like telling someone you're going to reboot uranus.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Bang Galore 01
              Bang Galore 02

etc etc. Show them some love for god's sake, and learn to pronounce Indian names correctly. Then watch them bob their heads in approval. Weekend sorted
              I am Brad. I do more than the needful and drive the market rates up by not bobbing my head.

Comment

I worked on one project where the servers were all Simpsons characters.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Genius indeed. Quite evil

And there are some funny characters in some of the names, such as Öræfajökull, perfectly designed to bring out the nastiest of bugs

Comment

Originally posted by tranceporter View Post
                    Bang Galore 01
                    Bang Galore 02
                    Are you sure those aren't meant to be in Owly's other thread?
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X