• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What to do with a crow

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do with a crow

I saw a crow fly into a car today (very fleeting glimpse but it seemed to be that way round) and went and rescued it from the road before it got squashed, sometimes birds that have had a bit of a bonk, hitting a car or a window, are only suffering shock and recover if kept warm.

It does not seem to be suffering in any way and seems a bit more alert and moving than it was but, after several hours, is still lying here in an old jumper in my office watching me drink vodka and type bollux on CUK.

Advice sought from nice animal friendly people like aTW, what to do now?
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

If you take it to a vet or bird santuary they will put it down.

So either put it outside and let nature deal with i.e. a cat.

Or put it out of it's misery.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Do not, whatever you do, give it Kia Ora.

S'too orangey for crows.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        I saw a crow fly into a car today (very fleeting glimpse but it seemed to be that way round) and went and rescued it from the road before it got squashed, sometimes birds that have had a bit of a bonk, hitting a car or a window, are only suffering shock and recover if kept warm.

It does not seem to be suffering in any way and seems a bit more alert and moving than it was but, after several hours, is still lying here in an old jumper in my office watching me drink vodka and type bollux on CUK.

It's scared tulipless, thats why it's not moving.

Put it in a covered box with ventilation holes in a quiet place. THis will help reduce the stress and give it a better chance of recovering. Contact the RSPCA or a local animal charity for assistance. If you take it to a vet you'll probably end up getting charged, even if they then put it down.

If you've had it more than a few hours then put a shallow dish with some water in the box so it can drink and a small amount of raw mince or similar to eat assuming it's not too scared to eat all.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

They're as tough as old boots, and if it didn't die in a few minutes the chances are it'll be as right as rain before long. I'd just leave it in a box in the garage overnight (so a fox doesn't get it during the night if it's still feeling groggy).

Also, you and whoever else goes near it should be very careful, as a peck from a large bird like that or a seagull etc can literally blind you permanently in a second.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I expect Norrahe will be along in a minute with a recipe.

On a serious note, we've got a local wildlife rescue that deals with exactly that sort of thing (and won't put it down unless there really is no other option) so worth checking if there's something similar near you.

As a kid, I had a friend who lived on the slopes of the mountain, and they had a 'rescue crow' who lived in a cage at night, but flew free in the day. I had a slightly reddish tinge to my hair, and this thing would attack me viciously every time I visited.

Comment

I think a box outside with a bit of gnosh and some water sounds best, out of reach of stinking cats but with a hole it can get out of if it recovers. I'll also leave it a small glass of vodka and a bit of cake.

PS If it had been a person, I'd probably have muttered "You should watch where you're going idiot" and driven past. They don't have the same excuse of small brain, do they? (With some exceptions)

PPS Put 'im on top shelf of shed with water and seed, lounger beneath in case he falls off and door open in case he recovers. He immediately pecked at the seed which is a good sign. Also shat all over my clean tea shirt, not sure what that betokens.
              Last edited by xoggoth; 21 June 2013, 20:04.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I think a box outside with a bit of gnosh and some water sounds best, out of reach of stinking cats but with a hole it can get out of if it recovers. I'll also leave it a small glass of vodka and a bit of cake.

PS If it had been a person, I'd probably have muttered "You should watch where you're going idiot" and driven past. They don't have the same excuse of small brain, do they? (With some exceptions)

PPS Put 'im on top shelf of shed with water and seed, lounger beneath in case he falls off and door open in case he recovers. He immediately pecked at the seed which is a good sign. Also shat all over my clean tea shirt, not sure what that betokens.

birds sh!tting on your tee shirt is a sign of a healthy specimin. My first wife was a bugger for that
                (\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  birds sh!tting on your tee shirt is a sign of a healthy specimin. My first wife was a bugger for that
                  It's better than having them wipe their arse on your trousers.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

P.S. Crows kill young cute ducklings...
                    Last edited by AtW; 21 June 2013, 20:23.

Comment

Working...
                    X