• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Didn't we have a lovely time, the day we went to Kilda

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Didn't we have a lovely time, the day we went to Kilda

At last, 35 years since I was last on St Kilda (as a soldier) I made it back.

Last Monday, the missus and I took a cruise across the 50 odd miles, from Harris to the island on the edge of the world. It was a perfect day, the sea was flat calm and the sun shone all day. All the horror stories that she had heard, about the storms, the wind and the dangers, the bleakness and the inhospitible nature of the place were forgotten. We got the one good day in the year.

We landed in village bay at about 11 am. Nothing had changed.

After we had looked up and down the village, we had a picnic near some cleits and the missus said she could hear bagpipes. We looked up the hill and there was a lone piper playing. Later on he appeared on the central hill and then on the most easterly. No one knew who he was , and he didnt let on. I reckon he was an 'extreme piper' playing in all the most out of the way spots in the world.

We took some shots from the top of the hill, then I showed the missus the cliffs. 600 feet, the highest sea cliffs in Britain, then the lovers stone. I wangled my way into the radar station and showed the missus around the kit, then showed her where I used to sit, looking out over the stacs..

Back down on terra firma, I wangled my way into the bar (strictly off limits, heh heh) and saw the old coffin that had my beard in it, all those years ago.

Then at 15:30 back into the dinghy and a quick whiz around the stacs then back to Harris.

The most beautiful day imaginable

Lowering the dinghy in Village bay

The piper

A typical cleit on St Kilda

Stack Lee and Boreray on the right

The lovers stone

The village on St Kilda

The bar on St Kilda. The PuffInn
    Last edited by EternalOptimist; 21 June 2013, 19:30.
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Great pics EO, I'll get there some day...
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
      Great pics EO, I'll get there some day...
      top tip, take a couple of half bottles of whisky. Slip them a bottle, it's much more dignified than a twenty (if you want the tour of the radar station and of the bar).

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Yes very nice pics.
        St Kilda is very near to the edge of the world - so glad you didn't fall off..

Comment

Nothing had changed.
          Sounds like heaven.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Looks like a beautiful day for it.

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
              Yes very nice pics.
              St Kilda is very near to the edge of the world - so glad you didn't fall off..
              If you get over to Tiree there's a good chance you'll be blown off, flat as a pancake and no a tree in sight.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                If you get over to Tiree there's a good chance you'll be blown off, flat as a pancake and no a tree in sight.
                Yes the Tiree women are fit as feck, so I'd be very happy to go out that way

Comment

Working...
                X