• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any catches when buying a property by a sealed bid (England)?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any catches when buying a property by a sealed bid (England)?

E.g. the tender offer talks of the unconditional offer (if!). Thought no offers could ever be enforced in England?

Any catches when buying by a sealed bid, and what's the winning strategy?

Unconditional offer means you are saying "I will give you £x for what you are selling", rather than "I will give you £x, however only if... (e.g. you bleed the radiators first)".

Comment

Originally posted by mickey View Post
      E.g. the tender offer talks of the unconditional offer (if!). Thought no offers could ever be enforced in England?

Any catches when buying by a sealed bid, and what's the winning strategy?
      Well, since you are making an unconditional offer you can't back out if you change your mind. You will probably have to pay a deposit immediately and the balance at an agreed date.

Wining strategy? Put in the highest offer!!!
      Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post

Not necessarily so!

I bought a house by sealed bid, mine was the highest "cash" offer - I had all the finance in place without having to sell something else, but it was about a third of the way down in absolute terms

I found out later that all the developers etc who had put in lower offers immediately tried to top mine, but the seller honoured the agreement and I got what transpired to be a very good house for the money

The ex did well out of that one... (c:

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
          And if you work for NSA you can make sure your bid is no more than a penny higher than it needs to be

Comment

Working...
          X