PDA

View Full Version : Keep yer hand on yer ha'penny in Paris

cojak
23rd June 2013, 10:30
Aggressive child pickpockets are commonplace these days, I suspect it's only a matter of time before they turn up in London.

The rising problem of pickpockets in Paris (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/9989659/The-rising-problem-of-pickpockets-in-Paris.html)

doodab
23rd June 2013, 11:10
Aggressive child pickpockets are commonplace these days, I suspect it's only a matter of time before they turn up in London.

The rising problem of pickpockets in Paris (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/9989659/The-rising-problem-of-pickpockets-in-Paris.html)

There is one who lives near me. Every time I see him I end up with my wallet emptied.

minestrone
23rd June 2013, 11:21

When do the Romanians & Bulgarians get uncontrolled access? End of the year?

Zippy
23rd June 2013, 18:16
It's nice to hear Dodgy's kids have a Saturday job.

shaunbhoy
25th June 2013, 08:15
On a similar note, returned from Brussels yesterday. Quite an enjoyable trip marred by the fact that on sunday Mrs SB had her purse nicked from her bag, with about £140 in it as well as her passport!! (I know, don't start me on "WTF were you doing with it in there?")
Our Eurostar back was mid-afternoon, so we spent an exciting morning traipsing from one Police Station to another getting pointless paperwork, for the British Consulate to marry up with their own collection of pointless paperwork!!
All this in order that they could charge us 116 Euros for an "Emergency Passport" that was only any good for getting us back across the Channel!! Rip-off city! And the Consulate were trying to suggest we "Book an appointment and come back in a few days!":mad
I mean, just what is the point of a Consulate if not to be there to offer assistance to Brits when incidents like this occur?
Useless bunch of self-serving c0cksockets living high on the hog from proceeds of the Public Purse!

Gah!!!

:tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum:

BoredBloke
25th June 2013, 08:43
A few years ago I had an accident in Turkey - not my fault but the police took my driving licence and my passport. I was told I could collect them in 3 days. The 3 days passed and I went to collect them. I'd rang the Consulate the night before expecting problems - one question they asked in the interview was how much I earned!

They gave back my driving licence and told me that my passport had been sent to another police station. With rough directions we set off to the second police station. They gave us directions to a 3rd police station and another long journey started. When we finally got there we were told that it was back at the first one. We got back to the first one and they maintained that they hadn't got it. I called the Consulate again from outside the police station and within seconds a copper came out with my passport. I have nothing but praise for how they helped me out. I also know that I'll never, ever holiday in Turkey again. Dodgy fvkers

Old Greg
25th June 2013, 08:50
On a similar note, returned from Brussels yesterday. Quite an enjoyable trip marred by the fact that on sunday Mrs SB had her purse nicked from her bag, with about £140 in it as well as her passport!! (I know, don't start me on "WTF were you doing with it in there?")
Our Eurostar back was mid-afternoon, so we spent an exciting morning traipsing from one Police Station to another getting pointless paperwork, for the British Consulate to marry up with their own collection of pointless paperwork!!
All this in order that they could charge us 116 Euros for an "Emergency Passport" that was only any good for getting us back across the Channel!! Rip-off city! And the Consulate were trying to suggest we "Book an appointment and come back in a few days!":mad
I mean, just what is the point of a Consulate if not to be there to offer assistance to Brits when incidents like this occur?
Useless bunch of self-serving c0cksockets living high on the hog from proceeds of the Public Purse!

Gah!!!

So in fact they issued a passport on the day so you could get your booked train?

VectraMan
25th June 2013, 08:53
I thought everybody loved pickpockets in London, in that cheery cockney singing "got to pick a pocket or two" loveable street urchin kind of way?

sasguru
25th June 2013, 08:54

They were probably hoping against hope to find some way of keeping a six-fingered hick like you out of the UK. :laugh:laugh

MyUserName
25th June 2013, 09:00
When I was on a club 18-30 holiday in Kavos some brat came over when I was sitting down drinking and wanted me to buy something off her. Being a nice sort I got my wallet out and gave her some Drachmas (sp?). Quick as lightning she snatched at my wallet in my other hand! I have done a lot of training and tournaments etc - I would say my reflexes are quicker than average and I was sober but I still only just pulled my wallet out of her reach. After that she stood there, smiling and holding her hand out.

Gave me quite a shock, if she had got it she would have legged it and what could I do? If I had caught her she would have just screamed the place down and I would probably either end up in a gutter bleeding as I looked at the stars or in a Greek police cell.

MyUserName
25th June 2013, 09:01
They were probably hoping against hope to find some way of keeping a six-fingered hick like you out of the UK. :laugh:laugh

I signed the petition but he got back in anway

shaunbhoy
25th June 2013, 09:07
So in fact they issued a passport on the day so you could get your booked train?

Not really, they issued an "Emergency Travel Document" that was considerably more expensive than an actual 10-year Passport, and was only any good for one journey. And they only did that under sufferance.
The amount of time it took I can't see why they could not just have issued a replacement 10-Year Passport. I would not have minded paying a bit over the odds for that. They obviously had access to all the information they would have required.
Does anyone have any idea just what their core function actually is? Other than providing a nice cushy job for underperforming former Public Schoolboys/Girls?
Aside from attending countless garden parties of course.
Maybe they have been infected by the sort of Brussels Gravy Train fever that afflicts the thousands of MEPs that infest the place!!

Old Greg
25th June 2013, 09:13
Not really, they issued an "Emergency Travel Document" that was considerably more expensive than an actual 10-year Passport, and was only any good for one journey. And they only did that under sufferance.
The amount of time it took I can't see why they could not just have issued a replacement 10-Year Passport. I would not have minded paying a bit over the odds for that. They obviously had access to all the information they would have required.
Does anyone have any idea just what their core function actually is? Other than providing a nice cushy job for underperforming former Public Schoolboys/Girls?
Maybe they have been infected by the sort of Brussels Gravy Train fever that afflicts the thousands of MEPs that infest the place!!

I would have made you beg like a little doggy and then sent you to Luxembourg.

sasguru
25th June 2013, 09:14
The amount of time it took I can't see why they could not just have issued a replacement 10-Year Passport. I would not have minded paying a bit over the odds for that. !

It's taught you a lesson hasn't it?
There must be a tax on stupidity, otherwise they'd be inundated with careless hicksville chavs.
Oh and they need a garden party fund, you know. :laugh:laugh:laugh

Gibbon
25th June 2013, 09:15
I was in Naples main train station the other year buying some tickets at a automated machine when a man came up to me and said in broken English that I must help him buy a ticket. My guard was instantly up and I put my hand over my card in the machine and told him to just press the Union Jack button. He repeated his demand and I just said 'No!, if you need help go the manned booths'. He repeated his demand again and I told him again 'No! now leave me alone' at the same time cancelling and retrieving my card and walking away. My wife then had a go at me for being rude and not helping! I explained that it was odd to need help with a ticket machine and that most people would go to a manned booth if help was needed. She thought I was paranoid until two mins later we saw him being taken away by the police.

Old Greg
25th June 2013, 09:16
It's taught you a lesson hasn't it?
There must be a tax on stupidity, otherwise they'd be inundated with careless hicksville chavs.
Oh and they need a garden party fund, you know. :laugh:laugh:laugh

And someone to have a good laugh about at aforementioned garden party.

Old Greg
25th June 2013, 09:20
I was in Naples main train station the other year buying some tickets at a automated machine when a man came up to me and said in broken English that I must help him buy a ticket. My guard was instantly up and I put my hand over my card in the machine and told him to just press the Union Jack button. He repeated his demand and I just said 'No!, if you need help go the manned booths'. He repeated his demand again and I told him again 'No! now leave me alone' at the same time cancelling and retrieving my card and walking away. My wife then had a go at me for being rude and not helping! I explained that it was odd to need help with a ticket machine and that most people would go to a manned booth if help was needed. She thought I was paranoid until two mins later we saw him being taken away by the police.

There was a time when a gentleman abroad would be happy to pay off his lady wife's paramour.

shaunbhoy
25th June 2013, 09:45

You are just getting all cocky because it is your wife that takes care of the admin, whilst you slaver and drool at the sights and sounds like a slack-jawed banjo-player.
God help you if you ever get separated from her whilst abroad. Although I expect that your propensity for dressing like a Big Issue salesmen provides you with a certain veneer of protection. That and the all-pervading stench of rotting cabbage! :laugh

shaunbhoy
25th June 2013, 09:46
I would have made you beg like a little doggy and then sent you to Luxembourg.

That would have required an air of authority that you simply do not possess though OG.

:wink

MyUserName
25th June 2013, 09:46
You are just getting all cocky because it is your wife that takes care of the admin, whilst you slaver and drool at the sights and sounds of a slack-jawed banjo-player.
God help you if you ever get separated from her whilst abroad. Although I expect that your propensity for dressing like a Big Issue salesmen provides you with a certain veneer of protection. That and the all-pervading stench of rotting cabbage! :laugh

FTFY

Old Greg
25th June 2013, 09:58
That would have required an air of authority that you simply do not possess though OG.

I'm guessing you're easily fooled.

sasguru
25th June 2013, 10:00
Some irrelevant bollux

So to summarise this thread. A slack-jawed cretin and his wife stupidly have a passport stolen abroad due to being a bit thick. And then have the bare-faced gall to come and moan on here when they are charged a perfectly reasonable stupidity tax to get home. You couldn't make it up.:laugh:laugh

Move along nuffink to see here, innit.

shaunbhoy
25th June 2013, 10:11
I'm guessing you're easily fooled.

I expect you apply a lot of guesswork to your daily routine.

shaunbhoy
25th June 2013, 10:12
Lots of hot air deleted

:tumble:

shaunbhoy
25th June 2013, 10:21
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3e6IWsJA9U

:laugh

cailin maith
25th June 2013, 10:25

Gah!!!

My aunt and uncle live in Brussels at the moment (they are on their 2nd stint there) and they say the pickpocket malarkey is crazy!

Not good but at least you managed to get home.

b0redom
25th June 2013, 10:27
What confuses me is why you needed a document to travel at all. After all you're a Brit inside the EU. Surely there's no restrictions on travel, no?

stek
25th June 2013, 10:40
What confuses me is why you needed a document to travel at all. After all you're a Brit inside the EU. Surely there's no restrictions on travel, no?

No restrictions on travel no but as UK and Ireland are not in Schengen zone you have to prove your Nationality, otherwise Bob on a Uk Tier 1 could just wander over to Europe and claim Human Rights where the benefits are better. Actually...

doodab
25th June 2013, 11:43

They can't just hand out passports willy nilly. That's a job for the home office.

KaiserWilly
25th June 2013, 11:49
This shows the madness of ending border controls for Romanians and Bulgarians. Nah, the madness is to be in an "union" with Romania and Bulgaria.

NotAllThere
25th June 2013, 13:50
So to summarise this thread. A slack-jawed cretin and his wife stupidly have a passport stolen abroad due to being a bit thick. And then have the bare-faced gall to come and moan on here when they are charged a perfectly reasonable stupidity tax to get home. You couldn't make it up.:laugh:laugh

Move along nuffink to see here, innit.What's the national lottery got to do with anything? :confused:

They can't just hand out passports willy nilly...They can't hand out passports at all. The consulates/embassies used to be able to issue passports. Now (in Europe at least), passports (for non-residents) are all handled in Durham. The best you'll get is an emergency passport to get you home. Claim the cost back from your insurance.

shaunbhoy
25th June 2013, 14:15
They can't hand out passports at all. The consulates/embassies used to be able to issue passports. Now (in Europe at least), passports (for non-residents) are all handled in Durham.

Hardly progress is it?
Little point in having all these Consulates if they are capable of virtually nothing useful. Few quid to be saved there as we are in such times of austerity.

:frown

shaunbhoy
25th June 2013, 14:56
Slight aside, on the train back to Devon from Paddington I ended up sitting opposite 70s Yorkshire and England Cricket Legend Chris Old and his wife.
Charming old fella with a great sense of humour and some wonderful stories.
On their way home from a Memorial Service for Tony Greig.

Check him out............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnbdNGW2iYA

:yay:

Old Greg
25th June 2013, 16:26
Hardly progress is it?
Little point in having all these Consulates if they are capable of virtually nothing useful. Few quid to be saved there as we are in such times of austerity.

:frown

They came to your aid in an emergency and helped you get home the same day. It's hardly their job to facilitate the next 10 years of your travel. It's emergency assistance.

shaunbhoy
25th June 2013, 18:13
They came to your aid in an emergency and helped you get home the same day. It's hardly their job to facilitate the next 10 years of your travel. It's emergency assistance.

Bulltulip. They could quite easily have accomplished both for no added effort. They chose to fleece me instead, and were damned reluctant even to do that. Bunch of chinless parasites.
Nail 'em up by the snouts I say.

Old Greg
25th June 2013, 18:45
Bulltulip. They could quite easily have accomplished both for no added effort. They chose to fleece me instead, and were damned reluctant even to do that. Bunch of chinless parasites.
Nail 'em up by the snouts I say.

Just be grateful you were not obliged to sit an aptitude test first.

doodab
25th June 2013, 19:30
Bulltulip. They could quite easily have accomplished both for no added effort.

Why do you think some outpost in the middle of nowhere would be able to turn it around in a fraction of the time it takes in the UK? They need to check these things properly, which is why the standard passport process takes about 3 weeks if you are in the UK and longer if you aren't (because it goes back to the UK).

If they just handed them out in foreign countries the moment some halfwit turns up with a British accent and claims they've lost theirs every blagger and his/her "foreign partner" and "kids" would be queueing up to give them the "we was mugged" sob story and get themselves a UK passport. You'd still be standing in the queue now.

Never mind the issues with physical security of blanks and programming the biometric data, which would quite obviously cost money and take additional effort.

Just count yourself lucky they let you back in at all. A friend of mine who happens to have been born overseas and taken his fathers nationality had to spend a week in Portugal getting his passport sorted after his accommodation was burgled and then when he got to Heathrow they initially refused to let him in despite the fact he's lived here for 30 years (quite legally, his mother was English), owns 3 houses and has two English kids. Bear that in mind when you're casting your vote during the upcoming referendum on whether or not you want to be considered foreign.

That's a good point actually, if they become independent how are Scotland going to set up a network of consulates and ensure that they don't become the next back door into the EU?

MyUserName
25th June 2013, 20:01
It is largely irrelevant, being scottish would normally put you on an immigration blacklist.

shaunbhoy
25th June 2013, 20:16
Why do you think some outpost in the middle of nowhere would be able to turn it around in a fraction of the time it takes in the UK? They need to check these things properly, which is why the standard passport process takes about 3 weeks if you are in the UK and longer if you aren't (because it goes back to the UK).

Brussels is hardly "some outpost in the middle of nowhere" though, is it? And I am sure that even the lowliest Consular Official is able to log onto a PC that can access the same database that any other Passport Office in the land can manage.
The fact is that this scenario just highlights the kind of bureaucratic ineptitude that can only truly be mastered by those cossetted in cushy positions within the Public Service that are not subject to any proper level of accountability.
We were hardly starting the whole process from scratch after all, this was only a replacement for a Passport issued a little over a year ago with Iris recognition and all the other bells and whistles.

doodab
25th June 2013, 20:31
And I am sure that even the lowliest Consular Official is able to log onto a PC that can access the same database that any other Passport Office in the land can manage.

Why are you sure of that? Such a database needs to be kept exceptionally secure, which means the remote PC and the network connecting it needs to be physically and technically secure, which costs money. If they can already issue you a document that will get you into the country why should they go to all of that trouble and expense simply to save you a couple of quid?

shaunbhoy
25th June 2013, 20:37
Why are you sure of that? Such a database needs to be kept exceptionally secure, which means the remote PC and the network connecting it needs to be physically and technically secure, which costs money.

If British Consulates don't have ultra secure connections back to the UK then they are a liability. Trust me. Some of their "background activities" would require such links to be available 24/7.

If they can already issue you a document that will get you into the country why should they go to all of that trouble and expense simply to save you a couple of quid?

They could have issued such a document for a fraction of the cost that they did though. They are, after all, paid for from the taxes of people that may get robbed whilst overseas.

Old Greg
25th June 2013, 21:45
If British Consulates don't have ultra secure connections back to the UK then they are a liability. Trust me. Some of their "background activities" would require such links to be available 24/7.

They could have issued such a document for a fraction of the cost that they did though. They are, after all, paid for from the taxes of people that may get robbed whilst overseas.

So are you saying this is good value for those of us taxpayers sensible enough to take good care of our passports?

Presumably you had travel insurance to cover such costs?

shaunbhoy
26th June 2013, 07:08
So are you saying this is good value for those of us taxpayers sensible enough to take good care of our passports?

Presumably you had travel insurance to cover such costs?

Now I know you are just trying a bit of flippant Devil's Advocacy here OG, but my points still stand.
Every Gate at every Arrivals Terminal in every British Airport that caters for International flights will have been fitted with Iris Recognition and Signature Recognition Technology for Passport Control. It is relatively inexpensive in the great scheme of things.
It is inconceivable that our Consulates will not have access to this also. It is something that will have been demanded by them in order that they can do their job.
This will have been paid for up front by the very people who may need its help in an Emergency whilst abroad, for it is a core activity of overseas Consulates to deliver this support.
Indeed, it was the work of a few minutes for them to bring up the details of my wife's passport on their system once we had supplied them with our background info. At this point they would have had access to her photo, signature, Iris print, and a host of other personal information that only she personally could have verified.
At that stage they could quite easily and securely have produced something tangible that would have sufficed, and for a fraction of the 116 Euros that they stitched us up for.
It boils down to a blend of surly intransigence coupled with a profiteering mentality unbecoming in a Public Official.
Anyway, we managed to work round them and get home.
One factor this thread does shed a slightly disturbing light upon is just how many people are quite happily prepared to accept mediocrity on the part of those whose raison d'etre is to provide them with a service.
Content to accept a few crumbs tossed from the tables at which they have forked out for a gourmet meal.
I blame the dumbing down in schools and those Baby Boomers that have produced a generation of mollycoddled youngsters that need their hands held and their backsides wiped for them at every turn.
Oh well, if you remove all adversity and responsibility then I suppose this is the bottom line.
God help us when, or if the reins of control are handed over to them. It will probably get outsourced to Bob!! :laugh

sasguru
26th June 2013, 07:44
... have produced a generation of mollycoddled youngsters that need their hands held and their backsides wiped for them at every turn.

You just don't get the irony do you?:laugh:laugh
So why do you expect your hands held and your backsides wiped, when you're stupid enough to lose your passport? Sounds like they were efficient enough to give you some documentation so you could travel the same day. And charged you a bit of stupidity tax so next time you'd be more careful.
The entitlement mentality of the lower orders never ceases to amaze me.
But I guess if you've sucked at the tit of the public sector for most of your life, first as a squaddie potato peeler and latterly as a janitor, you wouldn't know much else.

:rollin::rollin::rollin:

shaunbhoy
26th June 2013, 07:54
You just don't get the irony do you?

Nothing "ironic" about expecting to get the service you have paid for when you have been the victim of a crime on foreign soil.
You will feel exactly the same if your wife gets her bag pinched when you rock up at whatever god-forsaken flea-ridden backwater she is taking you next. In fact you will feel worse as both passports will have been nicked as she can't trust you to look after your own without getting drool, porridge, or smeg all over it.
I just hope she puts your comfort blanky in the room safe or you might need to be sedated!!

So why do you expect your hands held and your backsides wiped

I don't.
My expectations are merely that the Consulate deliver on their "Mission Statement" without fleecing the punters that provide the funding for their cossetted existence.
You seem happy to accept shoddy service, and that is your prerogative. It will doubtless have handicapped you in life if you but knew it, but as you are too dim-witted ever to have realised, no harm done eh?

doodab
26th June 2013, 08:09
Every Gate at every Arrivals Terminal in every British Airport that caters for International flights will have been fitted with Iris Recognition and Signature Recognition Technology for Passport Control. It is relatively inexpensive in the great scheme of things.

And it would have made nob all difference to your plight.

Would you really trust these people you criticuse so severely with an online database containing all this information? No, and neither would most other people, which is why the national identity register was scrapped. The database you think they can "just access" doesn't exist.

IRIS is being switched off. AFAIK it was a parallel system, not some huge central database of all passports.

The alternative ePassports work by comparing the person claiming to be you with the photo on the passport that you didn't have. The machines aren't all connected to some central ID database. This is why your ePassport works all over the EU. Assuming you haven't lost it of course.

Keep on digging. At this rate you won't need a passport, you'll have your own chunnel.

sasguru
26th June 2013, 08:17
Keep on digging .

I do find the less cognitively gifted have a propensity for this.

:rollin::rollin::rollin:

Old Greg
26th June 2013, 08:19
Now I know you are just trying a bit of flippant Devil's Advocacy here OG, but my points still stand.
It is inconceivable that our Consulates will not have access to this also. It is something that will have been demanded by them in order that they can do their job.
This will have been paid for up front by the very people who may need its help in an Emergency whilst abroad, for it is a core activity of overseas Consulates to deliver this support.
Indeed, it was the work of a few minutes for them to bring up the details of my wife's passport on their system once we had supplied them with our background info. At this point they would have had access to her photo, signature, Iris print, and a host of other personal information that only she personally could have verified.
At that stage they could quite easily and securely have produced something tangible that would have sufficed, and for a fraction of the 116 Euros that they stitched us up for.
It boils down to a blend of surly intransigence coupled with a profiteering mentality unbecoming in a Public Official.
Anyway, we managed to work round them and get home.
One factor this thread does shed a slightly disturbing light upon is just how many people are quite happily prepared to accept mediocrity on the part of those whose raison d'etre is to provide them with a service.
Content to accept a few crumbs tossed from the tables at which they have forked out for a gourmet meal.
I blame the dumbing down in schools and those Baby Boomers that have produced a generation of mollycoddled youngsters that need their hands held and their backsides wiped for them at every turn.
Oh well, if you remove all adversity and responsibility then I suppose this is the bottom line.
God help us when, or if the reins of control are handed over to them. It will probably get outsourced to Bob!! :laugh

Why on earth do you expect every consulate to become a de facto branch of the passport service? You had an emergency and they got you home the same day. And you complain!

This is typical of the whingeing culture in this country. Are you and your missus the elderly couple in the paper who complained that their two local councils cut the grass to different lengths on either side of the road?

sasguru
26th June 2013, 08:29
Why on earth do you expect every consulate to become a de facto branch of the passport service? You had an emergency and they got you home the same day. And you complain!

This is typical of the whingeing culture in this country. Are you and your missus the elderly couple in the paper who complained that their two local councils cut the grass to different lengths on either side of the road?

The sad thing is that he's bred. And so it goes, another generation of lazy, mollycoddled, whining slack-jawed cretins the rest of us have to pay for. :laugh:laugh:laugh

shaunbhoy
26th June 2013, 12:58
This thread really does highlight just what is wrong with this country.
It is easy to see why sas would jump to the defence of the sort of underachieving public schoolboy types that seem to frequent the Consular Service, him being a bit of a lame duck himself on the academic front.
However, it appears that many others seem all too willing to simply accept poor levels of service, and just slavishly tug the forelock to those placed in authority over them, regardless of how shabbily they perform their role.
That is why nothing ever changes, until those with the stones to question poor practice get involved.
Thankfully there are still people like me to do some moving and shaking.

Carry on!!

sasguru
26th June 2013, 13:09
Thankfully there are still morons like me to provide a laughing stock for more successful types.

Carry on!!

FTFY:laugh:laugh

shaunbhoy
26th June 2013, 13:17
Worry not sas. Where you are going there is unlikely to even be a Consulate. Your poor missus, in a bid to source some of her ever dwindling collection of friends that will still agree to let her visit with you in tow, is really having to go off reservation.
However, fair play to the woman. That is assuming she is proposing a 12 hour flight sat next to your gurning carcass.
Or has she checked you into the hold again?

Better warn the cabin crew to remove the sharp objects from her meal tray!!

sasguru
26th June 2013, 13:19
Some bollox in a desperate attempt to cover up his missus cretinism

Old Greg
26th June 2013, 14:25

Here's to easy pickings.

sasguru
26th June 2013, 15:00
Here's to easy pickings.

Amen to that.

Spacecadet
26th June 2013, 15:43
If it makes you feel any better shaunbhoy:

My current passport is from a British Consulate after my old one met with an accident. It only took a couple of days. I thought they were very efficient although they did have what was left of my old passport which might have helped.

That was only half the story though as I had to get the visas replaced too which was a complete c**t and the country I was in at the time only gave me a limited visa which meant extra questions the next time I entered the country.