• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT

Ok, I know I'm being thick here but please can somebody help me out?

As part of my Plan B I am setting up an online store and have now found a supplier.

My question is - if I buy an item from my supplier at £13.13 + VAT (£15.76) I don't have to pay that VAT as I'm VAT registered?
    Also, if I sell at say £20.00 inc VAT (£3.33) I take it I then have to pay that VAT back?

If that is correct then my profit on that item would be £16.67 - £13.13 = £3.54
    If I wasn't VAT registered then my profit would be £20.00 - £15.76 = £4.24

I am obviously getting this wrong somewhere so can somebody please explain what I'm doing wrong?

Originally posted by Gaz_M View Post
    Ok, I know I'm being thick here but please can somebody help me out?

As part of my Plan B I am setting up an online store and have now found a supplier.

My question is - if I buy an item from my supplier at £13.13 + VAT (£15.76) I don't have to pay that VAT as I'm VAT registered?
    Also, if I sell at say £20.00 inc VAT (£3.33) I take it I then have to pay that VAT back?
    Well, you pay the VAT to your supplier and then claim it back against the VAT you have collected. So you end up paying 70p in VAT to HMRC.

If that is correct then my profit on that item would be £16.67 - £13.13 = £3.54
    If I wasn't VAT registered then my profit would be £20.00 - £15.76 = £4.24

I am obviously getting this wrong somewhere so can somebody please explain what I'm doing wrong?
    That seems right to me.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Yep. That's how it works.

Nothing about being VAT registered means more profit to you. However if your selling to VAT reg companies then it's better to be VAT reg.

Comment

No you're correct. The VAT threshold is £79000 and for retail purposes you actually make more being non VAT registered than VAT registered of you can still sell at RRP.

Having owned a number of retail shops before it is best not to register for VAT to start with until you hit the threshold and of you don't have huge vatable expenses. Your spreadsheet calculations won't lie.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

The VAT you pay is deducted from the VAT you charge with the difference paid or refunded to you.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

4 replies and no abuse. There is a first
            Last edited by northernladuk; 23 June 2013, 21:38.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              4 replies and no abuse. There is a first
              Are you sure you're cut out to be a fan of gladiator films you double dipping, pasta flying, radiator bleeding, AndyW loving, L**y fancying son of a Cornish farmer?
              England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
                Are you sure you're cut out to be a fan of gladiator films you double dipping, pasta flying, radiator bleeding, AndyW loving, L**y fancying son of a Cornish farmer?
                "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Uncle Albert again."

Pity...

Comment

Working...
                X