• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agas

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agas

Can anyone explain why people have them? The house we are looking at has one and I've just seen the running costs

Ouch would be an understatement.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

You're a contractor! Man up!

HTH BIDI
    Join IPSE

Comment

Originally posted by Alias View Post
      You're a contractor! Man up!

HTH BIDI
      I can afford it (easily) but its pointless. £40+ a week to keep the kitchen warm and give me hot water

I need to replace the 30 year old boiler so may as well get a combo boiler and my wife can have a cooker that doesn't require relearning how to cook.
      Last edited by eek; 24 June 2013, 07:49.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

It's a lower middle-class aspiration item, along with the "eco shed" and the tumbledown pile of rubble in Portugal known as your "project".

HTH BIDI

Comment

The damp dishtowel hanging over the front is dry before it's next use. We used to sit in the kitchen far more so than the lounge, being warmer. Card games round the kitchen table. Chances are if you have one you're a paid up member of the Tory party.

Still remember family with a peat powered contraption up in Lewis. Smelled lovely and the water was a weird brown colour.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Got a Rayburn. Does hot water, heating & I do all the cooking on it.
            500 litres of oil lasts 2 months & at current costs it's not exactly cheap.

Comment

They have some good points but they are just incredibly expensive to run. I would sell it to another fool that wants the dream and buy a cheap fan oven that costs nothing to replace when it dies.

Comment

I lived in a basement flat of a house that had one. I'd end up being the one to get the coal out of the cellar, which was fun. Yes it did feel I was living in the 18th century.

It's all part of that idea that things from the past were somehow better.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  You mean like British rail? Or the NHS? Music even?!
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    I lived in a basement flat of a house that had one. I'd end up being the one to get the coal out of the cellar, which was fun. Yes it did feel I was living in the 18th century.

I've never seen the logic in this.

We want our cars to be climate controlled, quiet, efficient, fast, incredibly safe, modern etc but when we choose a house we want "period character" which mean, cramped, cold, pathetic heating systems, draughty sash windows, wonkey walls and floors etc.

No thanks. Ultramodern living for me everytime.....

Comment

Working...
                    X