• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Have you ever worked on a project with any decent documentation?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you ever worked on a project with any decent documentation?

Just thinking. Can't remember the last time.

Architecture diagrams, ERDs, data dictionaries, system specifications?

Just piling through some code but I've not got a clue where it's used in the main solution so I need to do some hunting around. This will take a few hours. Would take seconds if there was documentation.

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Just thinking. Can't remember the last time.

Architecture diagrams, ERDs, data dictionaries, system specifications?

Just piling through some code but I've not got a clue where it's used in the main solution so I need to do some hunting around. This will take a few hours. Would take seconds if there was documentation.

Every project I leave has impeccable documentation, if you can't find what you need, do it yoruself
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      Every project I leave has impeccable documentation, if you can't find what you need, do it yoruself
      So stop work on my deliverables and choose to deliver documentation instead? It's ballsy, but it just might work.

Comment

At the top of each code file you will find a unique identifier that ties it to the functional specification, the test suite, design document and the requirements documentation, no?

Comment

My code's got comments in it - what more do you want?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            At the top of each code file you will find a unique identifier that ties it to the functional specification, the test suite, design document and the requirements documentation, no?
            Ah that's where it is then.

Nope. SFA.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              My code's got comments in it - what more do you want?
              <censored>

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                So you have a thousand files with identifiers like this;
                FSBSHPQC123DDBSReqBS0_1
                FSBSHPQC123DDBSReqBS0_2
                FSBSHPQC123DDBSReqBS0_3
                FSBSHPQC123DDBSReqBS0_4

Almost as useful as no documentation at all.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Documentation is a rarity these days. Most organizations push themselves to deliver more and beat the competition, and so the onus is always on getting the functionality tested and out of the door to be "first in the market to offer xyz". That being said, most business analysts don't have much of a clue as to how the system works either. All they do is pass your query to one of the senior fats cats who has been fossilised in his position for 15 years, and wait for him to answer in an "AGILE" way.
                  I am Brad. I do more than the needful and drive the market rates up by not bobbing my head.

Comment

All my code is documented in C++. It isn't my problem if you're not intelligent enough to understand C++.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X