• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mervyn King warns against 'premature' interest rate rises

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mervyn King warns against 'premature' interest rate rises

It will be interesting to see if this happens as from the 1st July, King will no longer be the Govenor of BOE.

Mervyn King warns against 'premature' interest rate rises | News | Mortgage Strategy

Originally posted by Martin@AS Financial View Post
    It will be interesting to see if this happens as from the 1st July, King will no longer be the Govenor of BOE.

Mervyn King warns against 'premature' interest rate rises | News | Mortgage Strategy
    Morning Morning have been predicting this. Interest rate rises mean a default.

Buckle up people.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

I really hope the do raise them soon, I am convinced a correction in the gap between salary and house prices is due. I thought that this gap was going to be closed by rising inflation and stagnant house prices, but the governments meddling through homebuy has started another boom. I say get the correction over and done with, get through the chaos caused and get on with rebuilding the economy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ketchup View Post
        I really hope the do raise them soon, I am convinced a correction in the gap between salary and house prices is due. I thought that this gap was going to be closed by rising inflation and stagnant house prices, but the governments meddling through homebuy has started another boom. I say get the correction over and done with, get through the chaos caused and get on with rebuilding the economy.
        Short termist idiotic view imho.

The deficit is huge. Huger than huge. Interest rate hikes won't help with government borrowing.
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Not going to happen, for the very reasons you're predicting. I reckon another 3 years of low interest rates.

Comment

God forbid interest rates be used for anything other than to prop up the housing market.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            Interest rate hikes won't help with government borrowing.
            But they do help sell Government Bonds. They only way to keep interest rates low while borrowing more is to increase the money supply i.e. print money.
            Last edited by ZARDOZ; 25 June 2013, 11:40.

Comment

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
              But they do help sell Government Bonds.
              Interest rate on Govt bonds is based on supply and demand.

BoE prints funny money to buy Govt bonds - this can keep interest on Govt bond low even if BoE itself sets interest at high level.

I expect to see more funny money with new Gov, with Lord Merv's warning it seems that rates might go up - they should really because a lot of people right now overextending themselves with current super low rates - rates need to go up NOW even if just a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Interest rate on Govt bonds is based on supply and demand.

BoE prints funny money to buy Govt bonds - this can keep interest on Govt bond low even if BoE itself sets interest at high level.

I expect to see more funny money with new Gov, with Lord Merv's warning it seems that rates might go up - they should really because a lot of people right now overextending themselves with current super low rates - rates need to go up NOW even if just a bit.
                You just keep your mitts off the rates. They are fine where they are.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                  You just keep your mitts off the rates. They are fine where they are.

Some of us manage to save money, rather than being up to our eyeballs in debt.

Hurry up inflation, force an interest rate rise, let a load of people lose their shirts from borrowing money they couldn't afford (again...) so I can pick up some cheap deals on their car / house.

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
                    Some of us manage to save money, rather than being up to our eyeballs in debt.
                    WHS

It was a mission to get 0.5% interest from a bank that lends to customers over 20% on credit cards

Comment

Working...
                    X