• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

how to ensure that family don't get a penny of your cash if you are struck down dead

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to ensure that family don't get a penny of your cash if you are struck down dead

I don't have a family solicitor or any will, how can I ensure that if I die suddenly that a formal will after death will get picked up and used. I don't trust my family to contact the solicitor who would write the will.

As you can probably tell I'm going to leave the majority of the money to some charitable cause.

Surely you need to make a will and then make someone you trust the executor.

Linky

Comment

Hand the will to the charity to look after? Though will the 2p legacy cover their costs?
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Good question.

Tell the family where the will is being held, say it with a nod and a wink, they'll contact the solicitor within seconds of you falling under the bus.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
          Surely you need to make a will and then make someone you trust the executor.
          e.g.

Comment

Only sure fire way is to donate to charity while you are alive and leave only debt for your family
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Best to make a will with a solicitor, they keep a copy for free and you keep a copy amongst your personal stuff. It also get registered at the probate office or something and then when you die your death certificate will flag it up when processed. Wills can't be executed until probate say so.
              But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

If you don't like your family, know a few don't like each other or are money grabbing, and the set up isn't simple it's better to die intestate.

They will then have a good fight for at least 6 months.....
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
                  I don't have a family solicitor or any will, how can I ensure that if I die suddenly that a formal will after death will get picked up and used. I don't trust my family to contact the solicitor who would write the will.

As you can probably tell I'm going to leave the majority of the money to some charitable cause.
                  Citizens Advice - Who can inherit if there is no will

If you die without a will your estate (total worth) will be distributed as per the laws of intestate which will more than likely not match what you would personally like to happen to your estate. A will should cost around £150 give or take but will enable you to decide who your estate is going to be distributed to rather than it being distributed as per the laws of intestacy.

Hope that helps?

Comment

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post

Perhaps you need a trust fund; talk to your solicitor.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X