• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bob job agencies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bob job agencies

Am I the only one getting bombarded with lots of calls from different bob job agencies?

Is this their next business? wiping out British job agencies the way they already have large sections of the IT workforce?

Are we really printing uncapped ICT work visas for bobs?

Are the old school friends from Eton running this country really this stupid?

Answers please?

It is so they can turn around and get their ICTs in when we refuse to deal with them for a role.

Though I've tried to play along with a couple and they all strangely go silent when you make it clear you are interested in the role.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Most likely this is a future of the British IT industry: bob job agencies from Mumbai placing bob consultants from Kolkata for a gig in Manchester

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        It is so they can turn around and get their ICTs in when we refuse to deal with them for a role.
        That's what I thought at first. But the ones that have approached me have seemed genuinely disappointed when I refuse their low rates. Had they had other motives they would just have accepted my refusal to deal.

There seem to be a number of them from the Slough/Uxbridge area.

Comment

maybe they are realsing they cannot get the quality of staff they need or clients are insisting on a least 1 person on the team with a good grasp of english - but they have already negotiated the low bob rates and so are starting to realise they have shot themselves in the foot?

Comment

I would hate to fal victim to using stereotypes but:

When they are just going through the motions to prove they can't get anyone (thus allowing them to import a Bob for a Bob) the rate is about 1/3 of tulip.

When they really need someone and are offering decent rates, as soon as you have interviewed successfully they get a senior Bob on the phone to you saying how they are looking to expand their offering in "field x" and would really like you to come on board as a BobCo permie.
            I suspect that if you were foolish enough to go down this route the permie role would cease to exist at about the same time as the contract would have been finished
            ie You end up doing the contract for a tulip rate/permie salary

As you may be able to infer I have some experience of BobCo Agencies :-( - I did turn down the permie offer and just saw it out as a contract :-) amazingly the permie offers stopped about 1/2 way through and were never mentioned as the contract wore down.

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
              That's what I thought at first. But the ones that have approached me have seemed genuinely disappointed when I refuse their low rates. Had they had other motives they would just have accepted my refusal to deal.

There seem to be a number of them from the Slough/Uxbridge area.
              Put simply - there are instances when they actually need people who know what they're doing, rather than getting bob from their own co to sprinkle some b.s. on his c.v and rock up from Birmingham airport on Monday.

Trouble is they don't realise they have to pay for it. And in one instance insisted the rate was vat incl.

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
                Put simply - there are instances when they actually need people who know what they're doing, rather than getting bob from their own co to sprinkle some b.s. on his c.v and rock up from Birmingham airport on Monday.

Trouble is they don't realise they have to pay for it. And in one instance insisted the rate was vat incl.
                Some companies want contractors for perm money and given the state of some of the contractors on the market they will eventually find someone local willing to do it for that money out of desperation if nothing else.
                The problem is they have to call a lot of contractors to find those who are out of work and willing to take contracts at £30-40k pro rata hence some of these tasks are out sourced to Indian call centers where the costs are lower

If you are being bombarded by these calls then you might want to review your CV and/or skillset to something which pays a higher rate
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

I've only ever been contacted by one and she was very insistent that I go for the project even though I wasn't qualified for it at all. Eventually we got around to rates I told her what I would be looking for and she nearly tulip herself when I pointed out that my sum was actually a daily rate and not a weekly one
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                    If you are being bombarded by these calls then you might want to review your CV and/or skillset to something which pays a higher rate
                    The calls I got were for a very, very specific ability to use BT's ancient mainframe's customer service/engineering system in anger.

So specific that I went in with that in mind, and as I knew the PM he confirmed to me that the rates the outsourced co were offering was destroying any chance of getting the people with the skills he needed.

Comment

Working...
                    X