• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Libya

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Libya

From the FCO website:

The FCO advise against all travel to parts of the country.

The FCO advise against all but essential travel to parts of the country.

The FCO advise against all but essential travel to Tripoli, Zuwara, Az Zawiya, al Khums, Zlitan and Misrata, and to the coastal towns from Ras Lanuf to the Egyptian Border, with the exception of Benghazi. The FCO advise against all travel to all other parts of Libya, including Benghazi.

The small number of staff that were recently withdrawn from the British Embassy have now returned. It was a temporary measure and the Embassy remained open as usual.

There is a high threat from terrorism including kidnapping. This threat is increased due to a threat of retaliatory attacks following the French intervention in Mali. See Terrorism.

Avoid any demonstrations or large gatherings of people. If you become aware of any nearby violence you should leave the area immediately. Violent clashes between armed groups are possible across the country, particularly at night. On 8 June there were violent clashes in Benghazi. Over 30 people have been reported killed and many more injured.
    Great job we did there . Despite what you may have heard, Libya was a fairly secure place before we got involved. I have an uncle who has been travelling in and out of Libya for decades and never a hint of trouble. Not even when Ronnie bombed Libya in '86.

Strange that the MSM isn't reporting what's going down over there - we're all supposed to think it's job done I guess....

Another link on Benghazi violence

Never mind all that, is there any oil in there ?
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Situation is far more convoluted than the usual "west got involved and caused havoc" that we hear.

There was money from elsewhere in the region bankrolling a resistance on an industrial scale. They learned from the americans and are now keeping it as scary as possible to keep the usual war profiteers out the way until they have a return on their profits. As soon as it gets mildy safe to be there then the US will rock up and mug them...

Comment

Originally posted by zoco View Post
        From the FCO website:

Great job we did there . Despite what you may have heard, Libya was a fairly secure place before we got involved. I have an uncle who has been travelling in and out of Libya for decades and never a hint of trouble. Not even when Ronnie bombed Libya in '86.

Strange that the MSM isn't reporting what's going down over there - we're all supposed to think it's job done I guess....

Another link on Benghazi violence
        If you think the guys in Libya are bad just wait till the nutters in Syria (that our government/media referrer to as "rebels") get into power. They will make the guys in Libya look like Mother Teresa.

Interesting how the Syrian leadership is a "dictatorship" and a "regime" while in Saudi/Bahrain/Qatar they are "governments". Looks like the west is readying itself for war again though this time the consequences will be far worse than Libya.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
          If you think the guys in Libya are bad just wait till the nutters in Syria (that our government/media referrer to as "rebels") get into power. They will make the guys in Libya look like Mother Teresa.

Interesting how the Syrian leadership is a "dictatorship" and a "regime" while in Saudi/Bahrain/Qatar they are "governments". Looks like the west is readying itself for war again though this time the consequences will be far worse than Libya.
          I have inside information that confirms your view together with an offer to earn more money than my family could spend in a 100 years... I am still not convinced about running around in places like that though

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
            I have inside information that confirms your view together with an offer to earn more money than my family could spend in a 100 years... I am still not convinced about running around in places like that though

Hey bobspud, did you ever fly a Tornado to Rome ?
            Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post

But Syria has no oil that we (the West) can purchase at a massively reduced rate?

Possibly why the UK/US don't seem that arsed about getting involved. We'll just stand on the sidelines and shout "that's enough of that! Don't be naughty! You're going on detention, m'laddo!"

qh
              He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                Hey bobspud, did you ever fly a Tornado to Rome ?
                No but I know they bombed the wrong guys data centre...

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
                  But Syria has no oil that we (the West) can purchase at a massively reduced rate?

Possibly why the UK/US don't seem that arsed about getting involved. We'll just stand on the sidelines and shout "that's enough of that! Don't be naughty! You're going on detention, m'laddo!"

qh
                  I'm not so sure - I think there are 2 possible ways of intervening (one has already happened):

1) Fund and arm the rebels so they keep the fighting going with Iran/Hezb/Syria. The west views al Qaeda and Iran as enemies so it's win win. Also this will be a proxy war against Russia as well as Iran

2) Directly intervene when they realise that Iran/Hezb/Syria are actually quite strong and going to win the war.

Either way Israel remains unscathed while the rest of the region is up in flames. I wonder who the winner here is then

Comment

Working...
                  X