• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Genius advice from your friends at the PCG

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Genius advice from your friends at the PCG

In the article about taking a break...

Requesting time off is the best way to get holiday approved from a client.

Maybe they're not cut out for contracting?
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

But how else can you get time off? You can't really say to the client "I am having next Wednesday off", you have to say you're hoping to have Wednesday off, and would that be OK for the client.

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
      But how else can you get time off? You can't really say to the client "I am having next Wednesday off", you have to say you're hoping to have Wednesday off, and would that be OK for the client.
      Email
      Subject: Availability

Just to warn you that I won't be available from <date> to <date>

If you think this will cause an issue with project delivery can you please let me know

Thanks

<your name>
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Me: Walk over the clients desk.
        Me: <insert name>, I am taking date1 - date2 off. Will that be an issue?
        Client: No/Yes

Etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          Email

If you think this will cause an issue with project delivery can you please let me know

Thanks

<your name>
          Yep, you sort of tell them and ask them at the same time, as you say "I am doing xxxxx. If this is an issue let me know."

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            Email

Thanks

<your name>
            +1

Or as I call it, 'a notice of non-provision of services' on these dates...
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Yep, you sort of tell them and ask them at the same time, as you say "I am doing xxxxx. If this is an issue let me know."
              WTheyS.

Comment

Also I think the article is talking about the importance of talking a break. Would have to agree on this point. It's when other people start telling you, you need to take a break, you know you've overdone it.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

"Requesting" time off sounds horribly like having to fill out a holiday request form, and I bet more than a few noobie contractors make that mistake.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I've sometimes been asked to fill in a holiday form, until I point out I can't fill in the employee number and that I don't have an annual holiday allowance for HR to work with.

On that basis, I've never filled one in.

Comment

Working...
                    X