• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Frickin Contractiing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frickin Contractiing

After a 6 month contract of doing viryually nothing I have now signed up for a new 6 weeker whereby I agreed to do X Y Z , only to find out that ABC is just about working and DEF has been done really badly.

The project started off by the team setting up a development environment a pre production environment and a production environment , the whole thing relies on databases to load input and info screens and runs like a crippled snail.

The pre prod environment has some key members of the company inputting to 2 terminals, the old and new and they are seeing the new system taking 5 times longer to do the same as the old system , the PM is getting sh!t like you wouldnt believe because of this, and is now asking me to look at the whole thing to see if we can 'tune' it.

Project Manager has hired all the wrong people and the design is just sh!t , we have bits of the project coming in from outsource suppliers and the phone bill to India must be 10 times any savings made.

Im waiting to do XYZ as I agreed in my contract ,which is just to write the comms bit to send from a comms database (that has not yet been developed), back to the head office.

I set up a dummy database so that I could prove that the code I will write is going to work and the PM is now telling everyone that the comms database has now been done!!

I have kicked my velcro agent doll to the point that I now only have 1 leg and a hand left and people are bringing bits back asking "Is this yours?"

All this for less than 450 per day , I must be feckin nuts
    Last edited by Bitbucket; 22 July 2006, 00:47.

All this for less than 450 per day , I must be feckin nuts
    At least you are earning.

Comment

Maybe try throwing a hissy fit in the office, and tell the project manager he is an idiot, then, loudly announce that 'I wouldnt normally get out of bed for £450 a day. I am doing you all a favour'.

Should get it sorted pretty quickly.
      Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd
        Maybe try throwing a hissy fit in the office, and tell the project manager he is an idiot, then, loudly announce that 'I wouldnt normally get out of bed for £450 a day. I am doing you all a favour'.

Should get it sorted pretty quickly.
        Classy and effective!
        http://nickmueller.blogspot.com/

Comment

ROTFLMAO

Classic.. I'd love to do that sometimes..
          The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Ah, reading this post has made me feel better - nothing like hearing about about a worse project than yours to put life into perspective...
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

...aha
              ....tell all

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
              X