• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lions for second test

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lions for second test

Lions team: Leigh Halfpenny, Tommy Bowe, Brian O'Driscoll, Jonathan Davies, George North, Jonathan Sexton, Ben Youngs; Mako Vunipola, Tom Youngs, Adam Jones, Alun Wyn Jones, Geoff Parling, Dan Lydiate, Sam Warburton (c), Jamie Heaslip.

Replacements: Richard Hibbard, Ryan Grant, Dan Cole, Tom Croft, Sean O'Brien, Conor Murray, Owen Farrell, Alex Cuthbert.

Seems OK, big opportunity for Geoff Parling to step into O'Connell's shoes, but a big ask for slimline 2nd row. he's performed well up to now and that's a good sign for England.

I don't quite understand what Richie Gray has done wrong to not be there at all. He paired up very well with Parling in a couple of midweek games, combining to ruin opposition line outs. Croft on the bench is obviously tactical and I'm sure he'll be a second half weapon. Front row looks solid, and if Hibbard comes on it will be truly huge. Back row again; Faletau's unfortunate not to be in I think, but there's so much back row talent to choose from.

Dunno what the rest from 9 to 15 do, but apparently George North does a good Forrest Gump impersonation. Can we have our ball back please?
    Last edited by Mich the Tester; 27 June 2013, 09:36.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

That looks a good team, I just hope they are allowed to play.

Joubert is better than Pollock who just looked incompetent, but I bet he still gives iffy calls at the breakdown.

After Pollock I'm not sure of the current rucking rules. O'Driscoll seemed to stay on his feet perfectly and still got penalised twice early doors - for not staying on his feet. So he had to stop competing for the ball, which affects the whole team performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
      That looks a good team, I just hope they are allowed to play.

Joubert is better than Pollock who just looked incompetent, but I bet he still gives iffy calls at the breakdown.

After Pollock I'm not sure of the current rucking rules. O'Driscoll seemed to stay on his feet perfectly and still got penalised twice early doors - for not staying on his feet. So he had to stop competing for the ball, which affects the whole team performance.
      I don't understand much of what refs are doing at the breakdown either. It looks a bit like in the Northern hemisphere you can compete for the ball, even on the ground and in the south you can't.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        I don't understand much of what refs are doing at the breakdown either. It looks a bit like in the Northern hemisphere you can compete for the ball, even on the ground and in the south you can't.
        You can compete for the ball as long as you're on your feet and not leaning on an opposition player. Some refs seem to have difficulties understanding that...
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          You can compete for the ball as long as you're on your feet and not leaning on an opposition player. Some refs seem to have difficulties understanding that...
          It seems like it.

On another note, the IRB have appealed the decision to find the Aussie captain not guilty of deliberate stamping on Wyn-Jones's head. It did look a ridiculous decision.

Comment

It seems like it.

On another note, the IRB have appealed the decision to find the Aussie captain not guilty of deliberate stamping on Wyn-Jones's head. It did look a ridiculous decision.
            Yep, looked rather grotty to me too. There was of course a time when the players would have sorted this out in the second test; in the days of Moore, Ackford, Calder and so on Mr Horwill would have been very sensible to just pull out with an 'injury'. It seems to me the Aussie union are acting like stupid ***** on this one as they could have given him a month's ban and the whole thing would be quietened down by now. I just don't know if we should expect much action from the International Rugby Blazers.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              Yep, looked rather grotty to me too. There was of course a time when the players would have sorted this out in the second test; in the days of Moore, Ackford, Calder and so on Mr Horwill would have been very sensible to just pull out with an 'injury'. It seems to me the Aussie union are acting like stupid ***** on this one as they could have given him a month's ban and the whole thing would be quietened down by now. I just don't know if we should expect much action from the International Rugby Blazers.
              Well they have at least appealed this one. Have they ever done that before?

Re the team, has Gatland picked Lydiate (and possibly Youngs) to sort out that scrum-half?

Comment

Well they have at least appealed this one. Have they ever done that before?
                Don't think so; it's obviously an IRB committee decision to make it look like they're taking the matter seriously! Unless they really are taking it seriously, in which case I might need to glue my arse to the chair to avoid falling off.

Comment

Re the team, has Gatland picked Lydiate (and possibly Youngs) to sort out that scrum-half?
                  Lydiate plays well close to the set piece and is quite capable of dealing out some damage, so perhaps that's the plan, then bring in Croft's speed when things open up.

Comment

Come on you Lions! 14 minutes to go...

Comment

Working...
                    X