• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Marketing emails

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marketing emails

I have a customer list who have opted in for marketing and regular news letters.

Question - When sending HTML emails, would you opt for images to be hosted on a webserver (linked) or multipart encoded and embedded?

The problem with linked images is most email clients block them unless the recipient clicks a button. The problem with embedded images is it makes the email larger.

Which is the best for maximum impact?

Also, can anyone recommend software for designing, sending and tracking email marketing:

Designing HTML email templates
    Creating marketing campaigns
    Importing details (emails, names etc)
    Sending HTML marketing literature
    Tracking views
    Managing responses
    Having automatic unsubscribe
    Etc

????????

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
      Question - When sending HTML emails, would you opt for images to be hosted on a webserver (linked) or multipart encoded and embedded?
      Answer - Don't send HTML e-mails. Your browser is for HTML, your e-mail is for plain text.

My e-mail client automatically blocks images in e-mails anyway by default, and most others do as well AFAIK (maybe not Outbreak, but don't know about that) so a lot of people aren't going to see them anyway.

Be careful about spam detectors as well. SpamAssassin, for example, places HTML e-mails and images quite high up in it's spam detection rules.
      Last edited by Cowboy Bob; 23 July 2006, 08:34.
      Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Also, can anyone recommend software for designing, sending and tracking email marketing:

Designing HTML email templates
        Creating marketing campaigns
        Importing details (emails, names etc)
        Sending HTML marketing literature
        Tracking views
        Managing responses
        Having automatic unsubscribe
        Etc

????????
        The "standard" software (ie. most used) for mailing lists and mail shots BTW is Mailman - http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/index.html

Don't know if it does that marketing rubbish, but some very high-profile companies use it - http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/inthenews.html

My current client uses Cheetah Mail - http://www.cheetahmail.com/corp/ - in case you have a PHB who absolutely must pay for something.

Comment

I have a customer list who have opted in for marketing and regular news letters.

The problem with linked images is most email clients block them unless the recipient clicks a button. The problem with embedded images is it makes the email larger.

Which is the best for maximum impact?

How about using RTF so you can have all the nice formatting etc and send a text only mail with relevent headlines and a link to take them to the all singing all dancing News page on your webtulipe?
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Answer - Don't send HTML e-mails. Your browser is for HTML, your e-mail is for plain text.
            Personally I disagree with this. Why should email be held back in the 1970's?

In the future, people will look back on that statement and laugh.

HTML has evolved, email has evolved.

Comment

I hate those I receive at work that are linked because sometimes every single one of the pictures needs proxy authentication (username/password/OK) that has to be typed in every time. For a very 'rich' email this becomes a real PITA so I don't read them.

At home: no problem.

Comment

I have decided to embed the images in the email. In this way no connection to the internet is required to read the email and no security/privacy warnings appear in the email client.

Comment

people will look back on that statement and laugh...
                  ...at all the Windows users who get sent HTML e-mails with viruses/worms/trojans that exploit the IE engine???

Why do you need pictures in e-mail? Just put a link in to the website that contains the pictures.

Personally, I'd be junking your e-mails. But then that's just me.

Comment

Then you won't be taking advantage of this once in a lifetime, never to be repeated, incredible offer.

Comment

Working...
                    X