• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

£250m super prison to create 1,000 jobs in north Wales

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

£250m super prison to create 1,000 jobs in north Wales

"North Wales has been chosen as the site of a £250m super prison which the Ministry of Justice says will create 1,000 jobs.

Locations in London and north west England, including Cumbria, were also in the running for a jail with room for 2,000 inmates.

It is expected to be built on a site on a Wrexham industrial estate by 2017.

As well as providing an economic boost, it is argued it will make family visits easier.

The announcement is worth £100m in the current spending round and could be worth £23m a year to the north Wales economy."

BBC News - £250m super prison to create 1,000 jobs in north Wales

Fecks sake - 1000 jobs to service 2000 prisoners?!?!?

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    "North Wales has been chosen as the site of a £250m super prison which the Ministry of Justice says will create 1,000 jobs.

Locations in London and north west England, including Cumbria, were also in the running for a jail with room for 2,000 inmates.

It is expected to be built on a site on a Wrexham industrial estate by 2017.

As well as providing an economic boost, it is argued it will make family visits easier.

The announcement is worth £100m in the current spending round and could be worth £23m a year to the north Wales economy."

BBC News - £250m super prison to create 1,000 jobs in north Wales

Fecks sake - 1000 jobs to service 2000 prisoners?!?!?
    Its politicians maths, 250 Screws, 500 in the building process, and 250 estimated knock on in the community, they don't realise the 250 screws will be transferred from older prisons closing down, the 500 construction jobs are only temporary, and the 250 from the community is an estimate, which will probably be over exaggerated anyway
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      Its politicians maths, 250 Screws, 500 in the building process, and 250 estimated knock on in the community, they don't realise the 250 screws will be transferred from older prisons closing down, the 500 construction jobs are only temporary, and the 250 from the community is an estimate, which will probably be over exaggerated anyway
      I am pretty sure £250 mln will be spent for real.

Comment

"North Wales has been chosen as the site of a £250m super prison .....

How rude is that?
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I am pretty sure £250 mln will be spent for real.
          No, I mean the 1,000 jobs will break down as....
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            No, I mean the 1,000 jobs will break down as....
            Why did they not count prisoners as doing work at least 7.5 hours a day?

Comment

How can visiting be easier if it is in North Wales. If it was in the middle of the country then surely its closer to more people than if its stuck in Wales.
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
                How can visiting be easier if it is in North Wales. If it was in the middle of the country then surely its closer to more people than if its stuck in Wales.
                Makes sense if mainly Welsh people will be put in prison there - zeity's free roaming days are almost over

Also, they might have airport style machines to check visitors - much easier than the old more intrusive method...
                Last edited by AtW; 27 June 2013, 16:34.

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
                  I think they are suggesting that a high proportion of prisoners from the area will be moved from different class prisons.

They were talking about this the other day on the radio, you have multiple prisons in a satellite style and a central shared service area. So you have say 200 in high security for armed robbers, mass murders and council tax avoiders etc, 100 nonces, 400 medium class and 1300 in an open / remand prison. But you have one kitchen, library, education and laundry shared among the prison camps.

It makes a lot of sense if done well, you can migrate the prisoners between classes preserving the relationship the officers have built up. You can concentrate Education and release allowing a lower re-offending rate. Plus of course staffing rosters etc could be much easier.

AIUI The cost of keeping a prisoner in an open prison is far lower than say Broadmoor so of the £23M 50% may well go in the really nasty prisoners.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    So you have say 200 in high security for armed robbers, mass murders and council tax avoiders etc, 100 nonces, 400 medium class and 1300 in an open / remand prison. But you have one kitchen, library, education and laundry shared among the prison camps.

It makes a lot of sense
                    Indeed.

The majority who is in open/remand prison mixing with armed robbers, mass murderers and tax avoiders during lunch hour - what can go wrong? This should cut down reoffending rates among certain category of prisoners even if at expense of more crime inside prison

Comment

Working...
                    X