• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a PC for a relative - allowable expense ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a PC for a relative - allowable expense ?

I know it may seem a very obious question but I wondered if I buy a laptop for my niece (not a MyCo worker/employee) are there any special rules that may apply to make it an allowable expense ?

Thanks,

Boo

It's not an allowable expense in any shape or form.

Your niece isn't an employee or director of the business and does no work for the business so how can it be an allowable expense?
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Unless theres a business nexus, strictly no.

OTH, who knows? PCs are near enough consumables at low end these days.

Comment

You may be able to expense a portion of a cost of a screwdriver if you also use said screwdriver for business purposes. You will need to declare that screwdriver on you P11D as a benefit in kind.

Comment

If you lease it to them and make them pay for a support contract it would be allowable
          Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
            I know it may seem a very obious question but I wondered if I buy a laptop for my niece (not a MyCo worker/employee) are there any special rules that may apply to make it an allowable expense ?

Thanks,

Boo
            Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post

I don't know what is worse. The ops ridiculous question or an accountant muddying the waters when there is a clear answer.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                I don't know what is worse. The ops ridiculous question or an accountant muddying the waters when there is a clear answer.
                Pragmatism.

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
                  Sure, go right ahead. Might as well get her a nice be telly while you are at it. Make sure she pays you the money for it in cash so it's untraceable though.
                  Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post

Aye. I had a laptop die on me. I really needed one for a few days while I had mine repaired. Paid a few hundred £ for it. Used for a week and now gathers dust. The options where to stop billing for a few days which was more £ than the laptop.

Comment

Working...
                    X