PDA

View Full Version : Buying a PC for a relative - allowable expense ?

Boo
30th June 2013, 12:51
I know it may seem a very obious question but I wondered if I buy a laptop for my niece (not a MyCo worker/employee) are there any special rules that may apply to make it an allowable expense ?

Thanks,

Boo

SueEllen
30th June 2013, 13:51
It's not an allowable expense in any shape or form.

Your niece isn't an employee or director of the business and does no work for the business so how can it be an allowable expense?

Jessica@WhiteFieldTax
30th June 2013, 16:22
Unless theres a business nexus, strictly no.

OTH, who knows? PCs are near enough consumables at low end these days.

yasockie
30th June 2013, 17:09
You may be able to expense a portion of a cost of a screwdriver if you also use said screwdriver for business purposes. You will need to declare that screwdriver on you P11D as a benefit in kind.

amcdonald
30th June 2013, 17:29
If you lease it to them and make them pay for a support contract it would be allowable

kingcook
30th June 2013, 18:50
I know it may seem a very obious question but I wondered if I buy a laptop for my niece (not a MyCo worker/employee) are there any special rules that may apply to make it an allowable expense ?

Thanks,

Boo

:facepalm:

northernladuk
1st July 2013, 00:35

I don't know what is worse. The ops ridiculous question or an accountant muddying the waters when there is a clear answer.

Jessica@WhiteFieldTax
1st July 2013, 06:45
I don't know what is worse. The ops ridiculous question or an accountant muddying the waters when there is a clear answer.

Pragmatism.

Wanderer
1st July 2013, 21:26

Sure, go right ahead. Might as well get her a nice be telly while you are at it. Make sure she pays you the money for it in cash so it's untraceable though.

Sockpuppet
1st July 2013, 22:13

Aye. I had a laptop die on me. I really needed one for a few days while I had mine repaired. Paid a few hundred £ for it. Used for a week and now gathers dust. The options where to stop billing for a few days which was more £ than the laptop.