• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More than meets the eye...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More than meets the eye...

Last edited by Jeff Maginty; 26 March 2017, 20:27.

What have you been smoking?
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Summary: You lost your virginity wearing your lucky shirt and then found AndyW (god).

Cool story bro.
      England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

I went, with a very good friend, and his 4 year old son, to the graveyard his dad was buried in. As we got there, the young lad looked around, looked puzzled, and asked his dad why all the people were staring at them. I still feel a bit shaky remembering that, and it was 8 years ago.

I'm a rational man, but ever since that day, I have had a bit more of an open mind about things...

Comment

Transformers, robots in disguise.
          Transformers, more than meets the eye.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
            I went, with a very good friend, and his 4 year old son, to the graveyard his dad was buried in. As we got there, the young lad looked around, looked puzzled, and asked his dad why all the people were staring at them. I still feel a bit shaky remembering that, and it was 8 years ago.

I'm a rational man, but ever since that day, I have had a bit more of an open mind about things...
            Some great examples at Parents of Reddit, what is the creepiest thing your young child has ever said to you? : AskReddit

Did a ouija board a few times as a teenager. Scared the tulip out of me.

Oddest thing that's happened to me was dreaming that my goldfish was floating, all bloodied and mangled, at the top of the fish bowl. Woke up in the morning and found the fish dead. Which was a bit creepy, but put down to coincidence. Later that day we got a letter to say my mother's best friend had been murdered - stabbed in her bed. Still feel cold thinking about it.

Comment

Last edited by Jeff Maginty; 11 June 2022, 08:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Maginty View Post
                Synchronicity by C. G. Jung is one of the more fascinating books that I've read, which seems very relevant to this thread. I'm coming round to the idea that a lot of what happens in life can be a metaphor. I found myself having far more sympathy for religion once I considered religious teachings as metaphors rather than things to be taken literally (e.g. the idea of God as an archetype/symbol rather than an actual white-beareded old man sat up in space looking down on us).
                Well that makes sense. Religion is pretty much a universal belief - the nature of the god/gods differs but perhaps it is a fundamental characteristic of human nature that requires some sort of super-being to provide a meaning to life.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Maginty View Post
                  The question is...

What have you ever encountered that might lead you to think that there is more to life than meets the eye?
                  Have not yet encountered anything that would allow me to believe my experience of life is different from that of the next person. There are moments when images, even events, come to my mind 'pop', only to have the reality come to life before me weeks, months or years later. But I don't think of this as mysterious, but rather consequence of the random world we live in, in which I played a part in controlling events leading up the event I thought about earlier.

Yes there's much I don't understand about nature, but I refrain from labelling these experiences to bring some sense of comfort, but rather I think that truly if the universe is infinite, than all experiences are possible. Is our consciences capable of navigating this? Now there's a thought.
                  Last edited by scooterscot; 30 June 2013, 21:14.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post

When my eldest boy was three he quite calmly told both my wife and I about the ''old lady who would come into his bedroom at night telling him to get out because it was her bedroom, and the 'old man', who would tell her off for doing so.

Considering I fecking HATED that room, it made my skin crawl just being in there at times, it just put icing on the haunted cake.

When my wife and I sat down and talked about the things we'd noticed going on in the house we had had very similar experiences - dark shadows whizzing past the back bedroom doors and down the stairs, a shape appearing the corner of the sitting room and other weird tulip.

We don't live there now.

Comment

Working...
                    X