PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Contract Early - project complete

znuffzz
1st July 2013, 08:59
hello,

i have just accepted a new contract and will therefore be terminating my current clients contract early. I am paid a day rate rather than a fixed amount on completion of the project.

Has anyone done this before and is there any wording i need to consider when drafting the contract termination letter to my current client?

stek
1st July 2013, 09:04
hello,

i have just accepted a new contract and will therefore be terminating my current clients contract early. I am paid a day rate rather than a fixed amount on completion of the project.

Has anyone done this before and is there any wording i need to consider when drafting the contract termination letter to my current client?

Just say you will be terminating your contract and serve them the notice period.

malvolio
1st July 2013, 09:14
Just say you will be terminating your contract and serve them the notice period.
Agreed - except first check that you do have a notice period and how long it is, and be prepared to negotiate the details... :wink

TheFaQQer
1st July 2013, 09:22

If your contract is with the agency, then your "letter" needs to go to them rather than the client.

northernladuk
1st July 2013, 09:32
Agreed - except first check that you do have a notice period and how long it is, and be prepared to negotiate the details... :wink

This.. Tell us how long your notice period is. If you don't have one or intend on leaving earlier than the notice period you are gonna open up a whole world of grief. Are you through an agency?

znuffzz
1st July 2013, 10:35
yes through an agency.

all parties in agreement on leaving early including end client so what grief is possible?

cojak
1st July 2013, 11:53
If the project is finishing early I wouldn't expect any grief, just relief from the agency/client that they don't have to pay you for doing nothing ( some are reluctant to drop you for some reason).
Just state that because the project is ending you be leaving on xx/xx/xx.
If you don't have a notice period you can say that you will no longer be billing for time (ie you won't be turning up), and that should they decide to give you notice you'll happily agree.

northernladuk
1st July 2013, 12:00
yes through an agency.

all parties in agreement on leaving early including end client so what grief is possible?

Non but you neglected to add that little nugget to you original factless post. If everyone is happy why are you asking the question?

Why people post one liners on complex situations and forget to put in any relevant facts associated is beyond me.

znuffzz
1st July 2013, 13:48
Non but you neglected to add that little nugget to you original factless post. If everyone is happy why are you asking the question?

Why people post one liners on complex situations and forget to put in any relevant facts associated is beyond me.

wasnt relevant to my original post which pertained to the early notification and potential IR35 implications of finishing a contract early and whether or other people had similar experiences and consequently any standard wording they had used.

why people give attitude on internet forums is beyond me.

northernladuk
1st July 2013, 13:54
wasnt relevant to my original post which pertained to the early notification and potential IR35 implications of finishing a contract early and whether or other people had similar experiences and consequently any standard wording they had used.

why people give attitude on internet forums is beyond me.

Well the context makes all the difference to what you put really doesn't it. If everyone is happy and is mutually acceptable you don't need a letter. If you were leaving them in the lurch you would have had to take a completely different approach, so it is very relevant indeed.

Ah, now IR35 is part of this question. My ESP should have told me that when I read your original post.

Quitting contracts has no IR35 relevance... Getting finished early by your client is very good. Have a chat to the client and see if you can get him to send you an email advising that the project is finished and they will no longer require your services and you will cease to be required on x date. Getting finished early by the client is a very nice little get out of IR35 card.

See, the details are very important..... We will get there eventually.

stek
1st July 2013, 14:12
My plan B is gonna be Crystal Ball manufacturing...

TheFaQQer
1st July 2013, 14:22
Quitting contracts has no IR35 relevance...

Possibly it might. If you have a short notice period, one which an employer would never realistically give to an employee, then you could argue that it was an indicator that you were not an employee.

Didn't you get that from the original post???

northernladuk
1st July 2013, 14:50
Possibly it might. If you have a short notice period, one which an employer would never realistically give to an employee, then you could argue that it was an indicator that you were not an employee.

Didn't you get that from the original post???

That is gonna be a tough one to argue though. Notice periods come in all lengths. Why try argue that when you could turn it round in to a massive win by getting binned early.

All I got from the original post was a feeling of mild irritation and a sudden desire to become a keyboard warrior.

northernladuk
1st July 2013, 14:52
My plan B is gonna be Crystal Ball manufacturing...

Too late.. Even that has been bobbed out...

Crystal Ball - Crystal Ball Manufacturers,Crystal Ball Suppliers & Exporters (http://dir.indiamart.com/impcat/crystal-ball.html)

kevpuk
28th August 2013, 19:03
I may be heading down a similar route...

6 month contract is due to end in the first few days of October; project will be complete in next 2 weeks, so there may well be nothing to do/invoice for - certainly don't plan to be picking up random bits and bobs which are nothing to do with contracted gig :bluelight

So, have just started looking around, and looks like I may have a nice new gig lined up - but, they may well require a start date asap (actually, this translates to around 2-3 weeks)....this leaves a potential 2-3 week overlap to manage.

I am hopeful to negotiate this with new client, but have a 2 week notice period contract with current......as NLUK said, the 'perfect' scenario may well be to ask/get current Client to bin me when project completes :)

No2politics
29th August 2013, 06:37
I may be heading down a similar route...

6 month contract is due to end in the first few days of October; project will be complete in next 2 weeks, so there may well be nothing to do/invoice for - certainly don't plan to be picking up random bits and bobs which are nothing to do with contracted gig :bluelight

So, have just started looking around, and looks like I may have a nice new gig lined up - but, they may well require a start date asap (actually, this translates to around 2-3 weeks)....this leaves a potential 2-3 week overlap to manage.

I am hopeful to negotiate this with new client, but have a 2 week notice period contract with current......as NLUK said, the 'perfect' scenario may well be to ask/get current Client to bin me when project completes :)

Or send a substitute for your last 2 weeks :rollin

kevpuk
29th August 2013, 08:12
Or send a substitute for your last 2 weeks :rollin

Had crossed my mind.....

kingcook
29th August 2013, 09:31

Remind the client that you've finished the work that was defined in the contract. You'd be more than happy to sit around twiddling your thumbs for the last couple of weeks and invoice for it, or if they'd prefer you could say goodbye now ;)

eek
29th August 2013, 09:37
Remind the client that you've finished the work that was defined in the contract. You'd be more than happy to sit around twiddling your thumbs for the last couple of weeks and invoice for it, or if they'd prefer you could say goodbye now ;)

and you will be happy to provide ad hoc support over the next few weeks for a fixed fee of x to include £y hours of support. Anything above that can be had for £z an hour if required.

Support contracts are one of the ways money is made for old rope. if you can get them go for it.