• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Finishing Contract Early - project complete

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finishing Contract Early - project complete

hello,

i have just accepted a new contract and will therefore be terminating my current clients contract early. I am paid a day rate rather than a fixed amount on completion of the project.

Has anyone done this before and is there any wording i need to consider when drafting the contract termination letter to my current client?

Originally posted by znuffzz View Post
    hello,

i have just accepted a new contract and will therefore be terminating my current clients contract early. I am paid a day rate rather than a fixed amount on completion of the project.

Has anyone done this before and is there any wording i need to consider when drafting the contract termination letter to my current client?
    Just say you will be terminating your contract and serve them the notice period.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      Just say you will be terminating your contract and serve them the notice period.
      Agreed - except first check that you do have a notice period and how long it is, and be prepared to negotiate the details...
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

If your contract is with the agency, then your "letter" needs to go to them rather than the client.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          Agreed - except first check that you do have a notice period and how long it is, and be prepared to negotiate the details...
          This.. Tell us how long your notice period is. If you don't have one or intend on leaving earlier than the notice period you are gonna open up a whole world of grief. Are you through an agency?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

yes through an agency.

all parties in agreement on leaving early including end client so what grief is possible?

Comment

If the project is finishing early I wouldn't expect any grief, just relief from the agency/client that they don't have to pay you for doing nothing ( some are reluctant to drop you for some reason).
              Just state that because the project is ending you be leaving on xx/xx/xx.
              If you don't have a notice period you can say that you will no longer be billing for time (ie you won't be turning up), and that should they decide to give you notice you'll happily agree.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

yes through an agency.

all parties in agreement on leaving early including end client so what grief is possible?
                Non but you neglected to add that little nugget to you original factless post. If everyone is happy why are you asking the question?

Why people post one liners on complex situations and forget to put in any relevant facts associated is beyond me.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Non but you neglected to add that little nugget to you original factless post. If everyone is happy why are you asking the question?

Why people post one liners on complex situations and forget to put in any relevant facts associated is beyond me.
                  wasnt relevant to my original post which pertained to the early notification and potential IR35 implications of finishing a contract early and whether or other people had similar experiences and consequently any standard wording they had used.

why people give attitude on internet forums is beyond me.

Comment

wasnt relevant to my original post which pertained to the early notification and potential IR35 implications of finishing a contract early and whether or other people had similar experiences and consequently any standard wording they had used.

why people give attitude on internet forums is beyond me.
                    Well the context makes all the difference to what you put really doesn't it. If everyone is happy and is mutually acceptable you don't need a letter. If you were leaving them in the lurch you would have had to take a completely different approach, so it is very relevant indeed.

Ah, now IR35 is part of this question. My ESP should have told me that when I read your original post.

Quitting contracts has no IR35 relevance... Getting finished early by your client is very good. Have a chat to the client and see if you can get him to send you an email advising that the project is finished and they will no longer require your services and you will cease to be required on x date. Getting finished early by the client is a very nice little get out of IR35 card.

See, the details are very important..... We will get there eventually.

Comment

Working...
                    X