• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Marriage tax breaks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marriage tax breaks

BBC News - Plans for marriage tax breaks to be published 'shortly'

Totally unfair and unethical to me !!

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
    I agree. Why is not open to higher rate tax payers!!!
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I don't think its going to incentivise people to get married, but for those who can claim it (and I guess a few on these boards will fall into that category why not)
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Since when has the tax system had anything to do with fairness (tm)?

If you think it's unfair - get married. Simples.

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        Contractors who arrange their affairs properly don't pay higher rate tax. So that part is fine.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          If you are daft enough to be paying higher bracket tax, you have bigger questions as to why you can't save £150
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            If you are daft enough to be paying higher bracket tax, you have bigger questions as to why you can't save £150
            Some people have other incomes, not just contracting, hence end up on the higher rate.
            And the £150 was estinated in 2010, not sure how much it would be now.

However its the principal of it really, either make it available to all families (married and single parent families) or not.

They already capped the child benefit.

Single parent families not always chose to be single parent

Comment

Some people have other incomes, not just contracting, hence end up on the higher rate.
              And the £150 was estinated in 2010, not sure how much it would be now.

However its the principal of it really, either make it available to all families (married and single parent families) or not.

They already capped the child benefit.

From memory, wasn't the rationale behind this the fact that single parent families are eligible for beneftis / tax breaks not available to married / civil partnered couples? I think this was originally touted as being intended to give something back to those who are still together, rather than there being the perceived notion that if couples split up they'd be better off financially.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Contractors who arrange their affairs properly don't pay higher rate tax.
                How do you do that?
                Sure you pay a salary + divi up to the higher rate threshold, but (assuming your Ltd is making more) how do you get the rest out of the company without having to pay higher rate marginal tax on whatever method you use to do this (such as a higher dividend)?

Comment

Then it would be a family/child tax break, not a marriage tax break.

Only about 99% of the time. However this has nothing to do with whether you have children so why are you banging on about single parent families?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Single parents already have this tax break. They can freely move their tax allowance from themselves to themselves - even if they're higher rate tax payers. Just like single adults without children.

If you an unmarried couple with kids - that's by choice. It's a free country - you can freely choose to get married and get this break. It would only be unfair if you weren't allowed to get married. What do you want, ffs - all the rights and privileges of getting married, without actually going through the process? How's that going to work?
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X