• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

House buying at an auction

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

House buying at an auction

Surely some of our resident property portfolio millionaires have done it - so what should I watch out for?

Is it worth doing?

The extent of my knowledge is from watching Homes Under the Hammer when benched, but MrsF has seen some tempting properties available....
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Surely some of our resident property portfolio millionaires have done it - so what should I watch out for?

Is it worth doing?

The extent of my knowledge is from watching Homes Under the Hammer when benched, but MrsF has seen some tempting properties available....
    Always check the legals, and always have a viewing/survey.

Never, ever get personal. And the obvious, have a limit, and stick to it. This is best done by getting someone else to bid for you, and you not showing up. That's my serious bit of advice. Sometimes, ego can cost you 50k

Comment

Try to find out why the property is in the auction.

Auctions are risky, why are they willing to take the risk.
      Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Too risky for me.
        Might consider it in a tip-top London area, but I believe in property there are no bargains.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

There are always bargains. But buying at auction you're up against hard-nosed, experienced people who do this as a job and will know how much it's worth!
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

Is it worth doing?

If your bid at auction is successful then you will normally be expected to pay an immediate non-refundable deposit of 10% of the purchase price. If you have not previously arranged the mortgage up front then you are parting with a lot of money without ensuring that (i) you will be acceptable to the lender and (ii) that the property will be acceptable to the lender. You would therefore pay your deposit, subsequently apply for the mortgage and you could then hit problems.

The alternative to this would be to arrange the mortgage in advance. Most auction houses will typically allow a small window of viewing time prior to the auction where you could arrange for the mortgage company’s surveyor to visit the property to ensure that it will be acceptable security. However, you should note that the vast majority of lenders charge for their mortgage valuations and therefore you would incur costs without knowing whether or not you will secure the property.

Comment

This could be you..
              Growing old is mandatory
              Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
                a grand or two for a clean up and he has a 10 bedroom house in Finsbury park he is coining it.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  a grand or two for a clean up and he has a 10 bedroom house in Finsbury park he is coining it.
                  That's what I figured.

Not that I plan to spend 450k on something that I've never seen.

Having a look round next week - if it hits the guide price, there's a hefty ROI as a buy to let.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    There are always bargains. But buying at auction you're up against hard-nosed, experienced people who do this as a job and will know how much it's worth!
                    So when you win that means ...

Comment

Working...
                    X