• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Violence in the Workplace

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Violence in the Workplace

What do the panel think?
    If you were assaulted in the workplace would you expect your attacker to be summarily dismissed?
    If you reported the assault to the Police would you expect them to take action or shrug their shoulders and say "Not their problem as it occurred on work premises?"
    Anyone had any experience of same............other then MF obviously!!

The truth is out there...........shirley?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    What do the panel think?
    If you were assaulted in the workplace would you expect your attacker to be summarily dismissed?
    If you reported the assault to the Police would you expect them to take action or shrug their shoulders and say "Not their problem as it occurred on work premises?"
    Anyone had any experience of same............other then MF obviously!!

The truth is out there...........shirley?

I'm a good boy me, no idea what you're talking about.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I got held up against the wall of the office by the scruff of the neck once, when I had an argument with a neanderthal hardware engineer a few years ago.

I also got pushed up against a car by a drunken client when working for a small software company in 1995. Also by the scruff of the neck.

Nothing wrong with a bit of ruff and tumble IMHO

Comment

Why does this sound strangely familiar

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          Assault is assault whereever.
          WZS

I'd go straight to HR and possibly the police at the same time depending on the level of assault.

It's not acceptable anywhere, and if you say nothing you are giving the perpetrator permission to do it again.

I complained to a supplier and made a big deal of it when it happened (shouting at a trainer) on a project for which I was responsible - the arse didn't do it again.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Not necessarily, but certainly some meaningful disciplinary action. Depends if there is form or not.

I'd expect them to shrug their shoulders, until you remind them that regardless of where the assault took place they have a duty to investigate. Wherever an assault takes place, it's an assault.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Touch me without my permission (or cause me to fear for my safety) and I will take whatever defensive measures I think are appropriate, whether it is pushing you away, hitting you with a claw hammer etc - IMHO it is your fault for putting me in that position.

In work if someone assaulted me I would assume they were getting dismissed, I would probably call the police too unless I had done them in quite badly in which case I would keep quiet.
              "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

I would't be stupid enough to have a career that involved "going to the workplace" in the first place.
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  WZS

I'd go straight to HR and possibly the police at the same time depending on the level of assault.
                  I didn't realise they were at the same location! It does explain why you can never find either though.
                  But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                    I would't be stupid enough to have a career that involved "going to the workplace" in the first place.
                    You mean you aren't smart enough to get a proper job?
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                    X