• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Eccentric clients

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eccentric clients

Went along to an interview for a depressingly crappy gig at a small local law firm.

Guy who interviewed me was as mad as a bag of frogs. The whole place reeked of old money. Modern art all over the place.

Seemed to show no interest in discussing the actual required work but did ask me lots of sports questions, whether I was abused as a child, my family history and then told me how he would 'go after' anyone who lets him down.

Bonkers, but decent money and twenty minutes walk from my house.

Have you ever worked for any eccentric characters?

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
    Went along to an interview for a depressingly crappy gig at a small local law firm.

Guy who interviewed me was as mad as a bag of frogs. The whole place reeked of old money. Modern art all over the place.

Seemed to show no interest in discussing the actual required work but did ask me lots of sports questions, whether I was abused as a child, my family history and then told me how he would 'go after' anyone who lets him down.

I have had one or two special needs cases in my time but I try to steer clear of them these days... The problem with clients that appear to be unhinged at the interview stage, is thats what they are like when at their best behaviour and trying to make a good impression

Personally I really would not want to work for a nut job thats on my doorstep. You are just down the road so expect to become the new keeper of keys or alarm monkey after the current key holder moves house in your first week. Also watch out for the soon to follow "oh you can stay late because you are just up the road... "

Loons rarely get better. Maybe there is money in this as a blog?

Comment

I got interviewed by one.
      I turned up 15 minutes late due (mostly) to awful directions. Then he turned up 45 minutes later, because he thought I was a no-show.
      So - disaster all round, no harm done. laugh and move on, eh ?

He walks into the interview room and bangs into the desk. Then I notices his white stick.
      He asks me a couple of techie questions. Then we sit there, uncomfortable, staring at each other.
      (Well, I was staring at him. He couldn't really stare back)

Then he stood up and said 'I'm Blind you know'

'Yes'

Then he blunders out and I never heard any more about the job.

But I always felt that I had a VERY narrow escape

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I had one a few years ago, also in a small law firm (yours wasn't in Chichester was it?). The interview itself was OK, but it was when I was taken to meet two existing permies - they gave me a look of such hate and scorn that I made my excuses and left.

Agent never got back to me with feedback, and I never got back to them..

Comment

Ha ha. Oh well, that's my shortest time on a gig. Went in this morning. Utterly bizarre place.

Decided to peg it at lunch time...

Comment

Never worked for the godfather before, but the scenery sounds nice.

Never had a scary interview like those above. But certainly met many a manger after interview when it became clear they were out of they're depth. This makes you a target, and you know at that minute you're counting day the days. Would never have one egg in the basket anymore.
            Last edited by scooterscot; 2 July 2013, 06:52.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Interviewed for a permie role a few years back with a small tech consultancy in London.

1st interview went fine, got on well with the guy I'd be working for, had a good laugh in the interview, agreed on a lot of stuff around how the job should be done etc.

2nd Interview - You just need a quick chat with the MD, he likes to have final say on recruitment....

Turned up on time, guy finally appears half an hour late. No apology or explanation. From the minute he walked in the door I new there was no way I was taking the job. Bleached blond spikey hair, designer glasses, brown and yellow check suit with purple and cream striped lining (he made a point of opening his jacket to fiddle with a pen in the pocket.)

Everythng about him screamed power mad loon.

The interview was a disaster, it was clear from the start he didnt want to hire me and after 15 minutes I made my excuses and got out.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
              X