• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How many miles will a BMW 5 series 530D do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many miles will a BMW 5 series 530D do?

Going to look at (and hopefully buy) an oldish BMW with 130k on the clock tomorrow. It has full service history and looks in mint condition.

Is 130k on the clock even a lot for a diesel BMW?

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    Going to look at (and hopefully buy) an oldish BMW with 130k on the clock tomorrow. It has full service history and looks in mint condition.

Define oldish
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Not for the engine; it's a big diesel engine. It should last at least 300k miles, although you might need to replace a turbocharger halfway, which can generally be done with a reconditioned part. Once the engine goes you can stick a recon engine in it.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Diesel engines are tough little b*ggers and 130k isn't too bad, provided the cars been regularly serviced.

If the current owner can't provide proof that the cam-belt has been changed within the last 60k then you'd best budget for that (and the water pump if it's the original). Min £300.

Run the engine up to it's running temperature and accelerate HARD. If there's alot of smoke walk away. After your drive check the engine bay for any oil spray.

Check the wheel bearings, ball joints and check for any play in the steering wheel.

Take cash - show the cash - offer 80% of the price it's advertised for.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
          Run the engine up to it's running temperature and accelerate HARD. If there's alot of smoke walk away. After your drive check the engine bay for any oil spray.
          Just doing that once doesn't say much as if it hasn't been driven hard for a while there's a build up of crap that needs to be burnt out; I'd do that trick at least 3 times before drawing conclusions and if there's no big mucky cloud the 3rd time then it's probably OK.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            Define oldish
            2 cars i'm looking at:

9 years
            11 years

Comment

No, that's middle age mileage.

I'd go the extra and get the 535D...

BMW 5-Series | evo Car Reviews | Car Reviews | evo

Comment

This is one:

BMW 5 SERIES 525d SE 4dr Auto 2.5 (FULL LEATHER+FULL HISTORY) 2004

I'd actually prefer the 325 for the economy.

Comment

I had a 90k 525d (se touring) (it was an 02 reg and I bought in 07)

at 105k turbo blew sucked oil through the exhaust pipe

engine rebuild cost 3k

after that it was okay but then seconday fuel pump went on the blink

so i sold it

lovely car though!

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                    I had a 90k 525d (se touring) (it was an 02 reg and I bought in 07)

at 105k turbo blew sucked oil through the exhaust pipe

engine rebuild cost 3k

after that it was okay but then seconday fuel pump went on the blink

so i sold it

lovely car though!
                    Full Service History? If so I guess it is down to luck with these things.... Which is why I am considering getting a cheaper 11 year old one...... Low risk

Comment

Working...
                    X