• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best Railway Gauge

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Railway Gauge

Has to be Brunel's GWR 7' gauge - imagine the trains we'd have now...

After that, I like Ireland's 5' 3", Spain's 5' 6" and the former Bradford Corporation Tramways 4' gauge - necessitating a special bogie arrangement for through tram from Leeds City Tramways, there's being boring old standard gauge 4' 8.5"

Special points at Stanningley Bottoms, must have been amazeballs to see that in action...

No I'm not Gricerboy. Wish I was.

Wasn't the trouble with the 7' gauge that trains had a turning circle the size of Wales?

Comment

Personally I'm in favour of using Hornby model railway track and trains, and telling the passengers to balance

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
        Personally I'm in favour of using Hornby model railway track and trains, and telling the passengers to balance
        Would that be O or OO?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
          Wasn't the trouble with the 7' gauge that trains had a turning circle the size of Wales?
          Brunel was very much of the opinion that you should be able to go from A to B in as straight a line as possible so that wouldn't have mattered (check the radii of the proposed HS2 tracks). I forget where but somewhere on the London to Bristol line he had a massive viaduct built at huge expense to avoid the very slight gradient that would have otherwise been necessary.
          Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
          "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            Has to be Brunel's GWR 7' gauge - imagine the trains we'd have now...

After that, I like Ireland's 5' 3", Spain's 5' 6" and the former Bradford Corporation Tramways 4' gauge - necessitating a special bogie arrangement for through tram from Leeds City Tramways, there's being boring old standard gauge 4' 8.5"

Special points at Stanningley Bottoms, must have been amazeballs to see that in action...

No I'm not Gricerboy. Wish I was.
            You a train buff? You ever get down to Middleton?
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              You a train buff? You ever get down to Middleton?
              Haven't actually! In truth I was a steam head when younger but I discovered beer and shagging in my forties so I've been doing that since.

Still enjoy a trip to Haworth tho!

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                Would that be O or OO?
                I thought it was a shame that Z gauge never really caught on. That's 6.5mm/0.256in wide track. Imagine how much better and more complicated train sets we could have?
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  I always though OO9 was an interesting concept.
                  I bet SAS was a P4 man.

Comment

Working...
                  X