• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lions again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lions again

Not convinced by this, not convinced at all. Fine about Alun Wyn Jones, but dropping O'Driscoll from the squad; nah, not clever, even if he's on the tuliptiest form of his life (which he isn't), he can turn a match at that level with one little sidestep or dummy. They'd better win at the weekend or Gatland's reputation will be in tatters.

Lions 2013: Alun-Wyn Jones to captain British and Irish Lions in Sydney decider as Brian O'Driscoll dropped - Telegraph
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

It's a strange call I grant you. I'm a big fan of Roberts and think he definitely has a place but to drop BOD completely is a big gamble. I'm also not sure that starting with Mikey Philips is a wise move TBH.

I think that going with 10 Welshmen has opened Gatland up to a slating if they lose (though obviously part of me loves it!).

Comment

Right decision IMHO. They need some grunt in midfield to bash through a bit. BOD has been shaky on defence too.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
        Right decision IMHO. They need some grunt in midfield to bash through a bit. BOD has been shaky on defence too.
        No, bad call. Fine to put BOD on the bench and put the big bashers in at the start, but BOD would offer variation as the game opens up. I agree you need some grunt in the midfield, but you need options; Gatland has thrown away his options. If you have Tuilagi and Roberts in the centre from the start then there's a fair chance the opposition will have to make replacements due to the bashings and that a quick guy can exploit the gaps.

I think there's a fine line between a brave decision and a suicidally stupid decision, and Gatland has crossed it; if the Lions lose this, he'll struggle to explain that decision at his next job interview.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
          I think that going with 10 Welshmen has opened Gatland up to a slating if they lose (though obviously part of me loves it!).
          I'm not so bothered by that; the Lions will always have a large contingent from the strongest side of the 4, which swings and roundabouts and at the moment that's Wales. I think he made one mistake in the squad selection; that was leaving out Robshaw. But dropping BOD from the squad altogether is madness; he's clearly either lost his marbles or just panicked and gone with the players he knows.

I wonder what the psychological impact on the rest of the players will be; I get the feeling Gatland just doesn't understand the culture of British and Irish rugby well enough to really know what he's done and how offended a lot of fans and players will be by this. I harbour a tiny but maybe desperate hope that one or two senior players can talk, or ram, some sense into him before the weekend.

Comment

And if he is proven right and they win? Does he get an OBE and a massive book deal?

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              I'm not so bothered by that; the Lions will always have a large contingent from the strongest side of the 4, which swings and roundabouts and at the moment that's Wales. I think he made one mistake in the squad selection; that was leaving out Robshaw. But dropping BOD from the squad altogether is madness; he's clearly either lost his marbles or just panicked and gone with the players he knows.

I wonder what the psychological impact on the rest of the players will be; I get the feeling Gatland just doesn't understand the culture of British and Irish rugby well enough to really know what he's done and how offended a lot of fans and players will be by this. I harbour a tiny but maybe desperate hope that one or two senior players can talk, or ram, some sense into him before the weekend.
              Robshaw? You are kidding, almost as overrated as Ashton...

But BOD is an odd one to be sure. I can see the logic in running a pairing at centre that have worked together for a long time and while BOD is still supreme as a player he's no longer the play maker he used to be, so I can see why he's not starting. But leaving him out altogether in favour of Tuliagi (another over-rated blunderbus): that I don't understand.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                And if he is proven right and they win? Does he get an OBE and a massive book deal?
                Probably. But I don't think they'll win. That's the gamble he's taking.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  Robshaw? You are kidding, almost as overrated as Ashton...
                  Nobody is anywhere near as overrated as Ashton.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    Probably. But I don't think they'll win. That's the gamble he's taking.
                    I reckon they will and for a series decider I reckon they will win comfortably

But I'm not putting any real money on that prediction

Comment

Working...
                    X