• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plan C

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plan C

Plan B is going along nicely.

Plan C may or may not involve the running of an online and call centre based estate agency giving 24 hr access to a human and full property details online at a fixed cost.

Can someone in the know tell me:

1. Is there any legal requirements in running an estate agent in the UK or is it all "voluntary code of conduct" or "self regulated industry" bollox?

2. How highstreet estate agents in the UK have the gall to charge like 2% to advertise a home which equates to around £4000 for the average home and as much as £15,000 for a large property?

I think the whole estate agent model is ripe for a rethink.

Originally posted by DimPrawn
    1. Is there any legal requirements in running an estate agent in the UK or is it all "voluntary code of conduct" or "self regulated industry" bollox?

2. How highstreet estate agents in the UK have the gall to charge like 2% to advertise a home which equates to around £4000 for the average home and as much as £15,000 for a large property?
    1. No, any idiot can set themselves as an estate agent and nob around in cheap H&M suits and alloyed-wheeled GTi's.
    2. Because the world has a surplus of idiots, and most of them become estate agents.

I could bore you with a spreadsheet explaining the economics of an estate agency. They're not much different from those for a contract agent. But I can't be arsed.

The real question is, do you really want to buy a cheap suit and a GTi (and earn the general contempt of all your friends -- I've never met an estate agent who could get respect from anyone, even his mum)?
    Plan A is located just about here.
    If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

Plan C may or may not involve the running of an online and call centre based estate agency giving 24 hr access to a human and full property details online at a fixed cost.

Been there done that and saw the company fold
      http://nickmueller.blogspot.com/

Comment

My Dad's best friend did a stint as an estate agent (he could sell sex to nuns!) and offered a fixed price service. This was over 20 years ago though. His company folded not because the business model was screwy but because people thought he was too cheap, of all things. Also, the area he covered was somewhat down market shall we say.

If you set the price too low, people will see it as one of those 'it seems too good to be true, so it probably is' type scam and won't take it up. I'm sure you've thought about the pricing carefully anyway.

As an aside, quite a few estate agents will actually negotiate a fixed fee anyway. I was supposed to pay something like 1.5% when I sold my last property but instead negotiated a fixed fee of £1000 + VAT and saved myself around £750 (+VAT!).

Comment

Hey DimPrawn, surely your plan C should be to become part of someone's Prawn Cocktail.
          OK OK I'll get me coat ....
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

So dear Prawn,

Why(TF) are you asking a bunch of computer contractors about the legal rules for estate agents?

5 minutes Googling would give you enough info to make a start. You could also find a bunch of estate agent's forums.

If this is how you research your plans (A, B or C) then you're nothing but a barbecued shrimp.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman
              So dear Prawn,

Why(TF) are you asking a bunch of computer contractors about the legal rules for estate agents?

Who would trust asking estate agents?
              HEALTH WARNING. IT Can Damage your Health. Free Advice. Advice in the forum is the £9,995 version. By reading the health warning you are agreeing to the terms and conditions. Advice maybe bad as well as good. 24 months interest free. Your home is at risk if you don’t keep up payments. Advice limited to availability.

Comment

I thought some of the pimps here might be failed estate agents.

HTH

PS. Sorry in future I'll only post stuff about Israel, religion and other relevant IT contractor stuff.

Comment

I thought some of the pimps here might be failed estate agents.

HTH

PS. Sorry in future I'll only post stuff about Israel, religion and other relevant IT contractor stuff.
                  In my case I was running their IT dept...so not an Estate Agent! LOL
                  http://nickmueller.blogspot.com/

Comment

Already been done, sort of.

http://www.halfapercent.com/
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X