• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Posters with female names

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Posters with female names

This has been bothering me.

Traditionally, new posters sometimes get a hard time. Being asked about gladiators/radiators might be confusing, but is harmless.

However, when the new poster has a female name, I think some of the behaviour is shocking. If she's used her real name, even moreso.

I am talking about this thread as an example. The recruitment consultant who posted early in the New Year is another.

I can imagine that a poster, especially a young, attractive woman, could be genuinely upset by this kind of banter, and almost certainly would be pretty surprised and disgusted. I wouldn't want it to happen to my daughter.

Rant over. (Off to change my nappy)

I think she was thrown to the lions because she did not bother to read the forum. Had she done so; she would have realised that we are not a builders/construction forum. If the questionnaire was about IT; I am sure the reaction would be different.

People may get degrees at uni’ but it does not give them common sense.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

Traditionally, new posters sometimes get a hard time. Being asked about gladiators/radiators might be confusing, but is harmless.

However, when the new poster has a female name, I think some of the behaviour is shocking. If she's used her real name, even moreso.

I am talking about this thread as an example. The recruitment consultant who posted early in the New Year is another.

I can imagine that a poster, especially a young, attractive woman, could be genuinely upset by this kind of banter, and almost certainly would be pretty surprised and disgusted. I wouldn't want it to happen to my daughter.

Unfortunately, this forum is the only outlet for many repressed homosexuals and painfully shy IT geeks who live with their mum and are furious with women because they lack the confidence to reutrn the smile to that nice lady at Reception. I fear it is inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        I think she was thrown to the lions because she did not bother to read the forum. Had she done so; she would have realised that we are not a builders/construction forum. If the questionnaire was about IT; I am sure the reaction would be different.

People may get degrees at uni’ but it does not give them common sense.
        And her error was pointed out quite robustly in the first few posts.

Comment

Er MarillionFan is a girls name, and we never go easy on her.
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

I can imagine that a poster, especially a young, attractive woman, could be genuinely upset by this kind of banter, and almost certainly would be pretty surprised and disgusted. I wouldn't want it to happen to my daughter

I don't think the board treats female posters any different to male posters. Now get back in the kitchen love and put the kettle on.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              I don't think the board treats female posters any different to male posters. Now get back in the kitchen love and put the kettle on.
              You nasty girl!!! You should make it up to her. How about one of these?

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

All very amusing.

Making a poster feel uncomfortable because he/she's posted something stupid/irrelevant to the board is OK.
                Making a poster feel uncomfortable because she's female is not (IMO).

Comment

All very amusing.

Making a poster feel uncomfortable because he/she's posted something stupid/irrelevant to the board is OK.
                  Making a poster feel uncomfortable because she's female is not (IMO).
                  Now listen here sweetheart. Dont you worry your pretty little head about these things it could cause your head to explode. Leave the thinking up to the men folk, we're better at it) with the exception of them limp wristed fellas who have a ladies brain (like Suity))
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Where's the wasp killer spray?

Comment

Working...
                    X