• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Margaret Thatcher Day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Margaret Thatcher Day

Amazed this doesn't seem to have been done yet...

Margaret Thatcher Day: Conservative MPs want to rename bank holiday | Metro News

Seriously, who on earth, even her most ardent supporters, is out of touch enough to believe the majority of the country would support this?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Amazed this doesn't seem to have been done yet...

Margaret Thatcher Day: Conservative MPs want to rename bank holiday | Metro News

Seriously, who on earth, even her most ardent supporters, is out of touch enough to believe the majority of the country would support this?
    I think it's a great idea. I'd vote for it.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I'd vote for it, but they should have a Churchill day as well
      Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Sorry the country voted for her again & again, the reason she left was gutless scum in her party.

sorry for those who think she was responsible for all the countries ills, it was screwed well before she started.

Maybe if the doleites could have got out of bed you could have voted her out?
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

The question isn't about whether the majority supported her back then, but what the majority think about her legacy.

Tony Blair was voted in, and invading Iraq had popular support at the time, but that doesn't mean in hindsight we can't take a different view.

Comment

The question isn't about whether the majority supported her back then, but what the majority think about her legacy.

Tony Blair was voted in, and invading Iraq had popular support at the time, but that doesn't mean in hindsight we can't take a different view.
            It was a legacy unfulfilled, she took the shackles off the nation but the greedy bastards just exploited it for themselves rather than spread the wealth.

I don't blame her for that, apparently she was quite upset about how it all turned out.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
              It was a legacy unfulfilled, she took the shackles off the nation but the greedy bastards just exploited it for themselves rather than spread the wealth.

I don't blame her for that, apparently she was quite upset about how it all turned out.
              WGJ +1
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Well, yes, because until Tony B Liar did his 45 minutes and WMD routine, if a Prime Minister from any party were to say the UK was in imminent danger of attack by a foreign power, people would generally believe him/her and support action to defend the country. Tony B Liar destroyed that; he gained the public's support for the war in Iraq by lying through his teeth. It remains to be seen whether the damage is repaired in time for UK to face up to a real threat.

Mrs Thatcher came into power during an economic crisis; nobody could claim that she was lying about the state of the economy. She then did what she thought necessary to sort things out, and I'm sure that with the benefit of hindsight she's have done a few things differently; who wouldn't?
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

She was just a Prime Minister, perhaps a significant one, but still just a civil servant at the end of the day. I'm swayed much more to the Pro-Thatcher camp, but I still felt the not-quite state funeral was ridiculously over the top and inappropriate, and this is just silly. Obviously it won't happen, but still.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    Well, yes, because until Tony B Liar did his 45 minutes and WMD routine, if a Prime Minister from any party were to say the UK was in imminent danger of attack by a foreign power, people would generally believe him/her and support action to defend the country. Tony B Liar destroyed that; he gained the public's support for the war in Iraq by lying through his teeth.
                    I thought they believed the intel was accurate at the time?

Comment

Working...
                    X