• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Depressing Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depressing Market

Benched, waiting for prospective client to sort their tulip out - first I've had to go through re-vetting when it wasn't necessary, that's done now but still waiting while they sort there "start procedures" out (which is worrying in itself for a contractor - have a bad feeling about their working practice).

In the meantime been looking hard for other options - thought I'd do a comparison today on CWJobs...

For the same search area: Contracts: 3, Permie Jobs: 77

Even if I push the permie salary range higher there's still 16x more vacancies, quite a few recognisable as companies that used to take contractors... Really is very depressing.
    Do what thou wilt

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
    <snip> but still waiting while they sort there "start procedures" out (which is worrying in itself for a contractor - have a bad feeling about their working practice). <snip>
    Yikes! I guess you can look forward to a 3-day induction, presentation and ice-breaking included, then
    latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Originally posted by kevpuk View Post
      Yikes! I guess you can look forward to a 3-day induction, presentation and ice-breaking included, then
      Indeed... it's a big corporate, I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole if the market was better... *concerned*
      Do what thou wilt

Comment

Been recruiting for a project team for the last few weeks. The jobs have been on all the boards. The vast majority of people we have interviewed have been of overseas origin. I don't see how the market can have been as bad as some say given the quality of response we have had.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
          Benched, waiting for prospective client to sort their tulip out - first I've had to go through re-vetting when it wasn't necessary, that's done now but still waiting while they sort there "start procedures" out (which is worrying in itself for a contractor - have a bad feeling about their working practice).

In the meantime been looking hard for other options - thought I'd do a comparison today on CWJobs...

For the same search area: Contracts: 3, Permie Jobs: 77
          It's summer so it will be slow.

Just put your CV on the job boards and up date it regularly as lots of contracts aren't advertised.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
            Been recruiting for a project team for the last few weeks. The jobs have been on all the boards. The vast majority of people we have interviewed have been of overseas origin. I don't see how the market can have been as bad as some say given the quality of response we have had.
            I have to agree started looking and within a week had three interviews. Took the first job as it was a slightly better contract adding something to the CV.

Work is definitely available at the moment.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Depends on location then I guess... I'm not looking for a long commute (or stay away) at the moment so looking for reasonably local gigs.
              Do what thou wilt

Comment

i have seen alot of roles on jobserve, it also depends on your job hunting skills and your CV

Comment

Still also getting a lot of £400 / day in London for senior architects. Good luck with that.

Comment

The market is quiet here too. Embedded Software, West End of the M4.
                    Like you, I want to be either local to home, or work at from my office.
                    I finished a contract the end of June, the market has been buoyant for the previous 4-5 months, but I guess we are now entering the slow summer stage.
                    The weather is good and I have money in the bank, so treating it as a holiday.

Comment

Working...
                    X