• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cashback offers - part of the contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cashback offers - part of the contract?

Ordered a camcorder from Amazon - it was advertised with a £50 cashback from Canon.

On receiving it, I went to claim my £50 and found that, on Canon's site, it was only £30 cashback.

I contacted both Canon and Amazon, and Amazon have now changed their website to show it as £30, but tell me that "The item is part of the £30 cashback offer. To qualify for £50 cashback, you need to purchase a different item". I have a screenshot of the product page with £50 cashback, and the internet archive shows it on the £50 tab - it changed this morning after I contacted them.

Am I right to push for my £50, or is life too short? (It's the principle rather than the twenty quid)

Amazon.co.uk: Canon Summer Cashback

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Am I right to push for my £50, or is life too short?
    Yes, and yes.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

you are right to push as you bought it under the advertised £50 cashback...misleading sales technique applied!
      Join IPSE

Comment

It is not true that companies must sell stuff at the price they advertise them. They have the right to refuse to sell it to you but if you bought it with that on the page I would be pretty aggrieved if they pulled it retrospectively like this.

I would certainly be writing an official complaint to Amazon with the details. I can't see that they have a leg to stand on. The agreement is you gave the money shown for the benefits shown. I would say you are bang to rights.

To be fair Amazon have been pretty good at dealing with a few things I have had to send back so I am sure their customer services will fold quickly.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          It is not true that companies must sell stuff at the price they advertise them. They have the right to refuse to sell it to you but if you bought it with that on the page I would be pretty aggrieved if they pulled it retrospectively like this.

I would certainly be writing an official complaint to Amazon with the details. I can't see that they have a leg to stand on. The agreement is you gave the money shown for the benefits shown. I would say you are bang to rights.

To be fair Amazon have been pretty good at dealing with a few things I have had to send back so I am sure their customer services will fold quickly.
          Yep, if they had refused my order and said it had been advertised incorrectly, I'd agree there's no obligation. But by shipping the item I think the contract is confirmed. I guess I'm a little unclear as to whether the third party promotion formed part of the agreeement.

I'll persevere - have sent them the screenshot and the cached link, so will see what they say.

Comment

Send your complaint to Watchdog. If you have been caught by this you can bet that there are others
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

You are on to a loser kiddo, follow the link and it takes you to Canon's T&C's (who are running the promotion) and in there the correct Cashback values for each item.

But then again serves you right as you should have bought a Nikon
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                I'll persevere - have sent them the screenshot and the cached link, so will see what they say.
                Don't ask, don't get. You've sent them the details and that's probably enough. I'm all for consumer rights but I wouldn't go turning it into a crusade over £20.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  But then again serves you right as you should have bought a Nikon
                  Nikon don't make camcorders AFAIK.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    Nikon don't make camcorders AFAIK.
                    I use my dSLR for video as well as still
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X