• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Practising being a recruiter at WH Smith

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Practising being a recruiter at WH Smith

I am wholly self taught as a recruiter and people occasionally wonder what one needs to do to build skills of being arrogant, supercilious, high handed and talking too loudly.

I do this by applying these respected techniques in my everyday life.

So last week I was in WM Smith and overheard them shafting some old guy who'd bought some booklet which turned out to have pages missing.

Turns out that WH Smith don't give receipts for "small" items and therfore were refusing to refund him.

Being the sort of self important bastard I am, I joined in the conversation, pointing out the Sale of Goods act, and using phrases like "you sold him defective goods" more frequently and loudly than normal polite conversation would require. I helped this old guy make a fuss and asked to see the manager. It may surprise you to learn that I clearly used these phrases even when no one was speaking to me and in a way that ensured all customers in the central London store heard it, several times.

They at first refused and asked what it was to do with me, I pointed out in a loud clear voice that as a City Headhunter it was my duty to ensure that people's rights were respected. For some reason this duty is not well known and they were taken aback.

I then referred to him as my friend, since as we all know, recruiters are friends with everyone and the old guy saw this as a chance to get past the WH Smith staff trying to palm him off.

The manager turned up, but of course it wasn't the manager, just some sort of section manager who again tried to claim that WH Smith's policies over rode the Sale of Goods act. I spoke clearly again, and again, always politely (if rather loudly) and kept a distance from the shop staff so that they could not claim that a scar faced gap tooth basted in a bomber jacket was threatening them.

So I fiddled with my phone a bit and asked for the name of the person I was dealing with because my phone was by now ringing the media relations manager at WH Smith and I let it drop that I was also a journalist. Suddenyl, as if by magic the manager turned out *not* to be in a meeting after all and was only too happy to give a refund.

I patronised him for a bit, for no good reason other than to make him look small in front of his team because it was almost certain that the instructions to refused refunds on shoddy goods came from him.
    My 12 year old is walking 26 miles for Cardiac Risk in the Young, you can sponsor him here

TL;DR

Was the missing pages taken by you as your cut for "helping a friend out"
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominic Connor View Post
      because it was almost certain that the instructions to refused refunds on shoddy goods came from him.
      So finish the job and get him fired by writing to head office.

Or is that just a journalist making stupid (probably defamatory) claims based on insufficient evidence?

Comment

So, to sum up...

Agent acts like a loudmouthed twat in public, until the manager gave in to get him out of the shop.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I am wholly self taught as a recruiter and people occasionally wonder what one needs to do to build skills of being arrogant, supercilious, high handed and talking too loudly.

I do this by applying these respected techniques in my everyday life.

So last week I was in WM Smith and overheard them shafting some old guy who'd bought some booklet which turned out to have pages missing.

Turns out that WH Smith don't give receipts for "small" items and therfore were refusing to refund him.

Being the sort of self important bastard I am, I joined in the conversation, pointing out the Sale of Goods act, and using phrases like "you sold him defective goods" more frequently and loudly than normal polite conversation would require. I helped this old guy make a fuss and asked to see the manager. It may surprise you to learn that I clearly used these phrases even when no one was speaking to me and in a way that ensured all customers in the central London store heard it, several times.

They at first refused and asked what it was to do with me, I pointed out in a loud clear voice that as a City Headhunter it was my duty to ensure that people's rights were respected. For some reason this duty is not well known and they were taken aback.

I then referred to him as my friend, since as we all know, recruiters are friends with everyone and the old guy saw this as a chance to get past the WH Smith staff trying to palm him off.

The manager turned up, but of course it wasn't the manager, just some sort of section manager who again tried to claim that WH Smith's policies over rode the Sale of Goods act. I spoke clearly again, and again, always politely (if rather loudly) and kept a distance from the shop staff so that they could not claim that a scar faced gap tooth basted in a bomber jacket was threatening them.

So I fiddled with my phone a bit and asked for the name of the person I was dealing with because my phone was by now ringing the media relations manager at WH Smith and I let it drop that I was also a journalist. Suddenyl, as if by magic the manager turned out *not* to be in a meeting after all and was only too happy to give a refund.

I patronised him for a bit, for no good reason other than to make him look small in front of his team because it was almost certain that the instructions to refused refunds on shoddy goods came from him.
          You are a flake. Recruitment consultants do not help anyone unless there is a fast buck to be made. There must be other "jobsworth" careers that you can follow.
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I pointed out in a loud clear voice that as a City Headhunter it was my duty to ensure that people's rights were respected.
            Do you wear some sort of cape when you go round helping the poor and downtrodden?
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Don't get done; Get Dom.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                Don't get done; Get Dom.

Admin, make it so as his title please
                Last edited by SimonMac; 9 July 2013, 15:11.
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

So let me get it right, this scavanger bought a booklet for 99p at a pound shop and tried to palm it off on WHSmith for a £4.99 refund. And you aided and abetted him in this fraud.

Clearly you're both as bad as each other; you for being a recruitment consultant, and WHSmith for making 400% "agency commission" selling a book costing a quid, for five quid.

The scavenger bloke seemed decent enough. Did he give you anything for your trouble? Apart from a toothy Albert-Steptoe like grin?

Comment

some drivel.
                    FFS, it must take a total lack of any talent whatsoever to end up being both a "headhunter" and a journalist.
                    Going into politics next?
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X