• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why do spiders love gas meters?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do spiders love gas meters?

We've an outside meter, just underground with a lid on top. I could just tell when we moved in that there would be a big house spider in there, and there was. I squished it with a shudder and cleared out the webs. Next time I come to take a reading... oh look another giant spider.

What makes this such a perfect spot - I can't imagine other insects go in there and surely a big spider needs to eat quite a lot? And why do housespiders make those really thick webs? They always spin them in places that seem unlikely to catch anything, like underneath things and in corners and crevices. Great for scaring people, less so for catching prey - especially as their webs aren't even sticky.

Also... how does a spider that big manage to spin a web in the first place - they weigh a fair amount and their webs always seem more like a dense carpet than a web of strands.

Any experts here, Xog perhaps?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    We've an outside meter, just underground with a lid on top. I could just tell when we moved in that there would be a big house spider in there, and there was. I squished it with a shudder and cleared out the webs. Next time I come to take a reading... oh look another giant spider.

What makes this such a perfect spot - I can't imagine other insects go in there and surely a big spider needs to eat quite a lot? And why do housespiders make those really thick webs? They always spin them in places that seem unlikely to catch anything, like underneath things and in corners and crevices. Great for scaring people, less so for catching prey - especially as their webs aren't even sticky.

Also... how does a spider that big manage to spin a web in the first place - they weigh a fair amount and their webs always seem more like a dense carpet than a web of strands.

They get high on the gas smell. Why not stick your head in the oven for a while and see if it works for humans?

Comment

Obvious innit. Don't YOU love gas meters?
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Cause they have problems pressing aerosols and squeezing glue tubes IMO.

Just hope they are all non smokers. Better check as it might invalidate your insurance.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

My son would go bananas as it's "one of God's creatures".
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            Sounds like he already is bananas.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              Sounds like he already is bananas.
              Well the banana doesn't roll far
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Does he eat and wear them like he does many other god's creatures?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Sounds like a pansy to me. Ask him if he'd refuse antibiotics and refuse to use antibacterial handwash...

Anyone got any serious answers? It must be effective or they'd starve...
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I still can't get my head around someone calling a gas meter 'one of God's creatures'.

Comment

Working...
                    X