• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Aurora watch amber alert

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aurora watch amber alert

Given the clear skies there's a fair to middling chance of auroral activity tonight, might be worth waiting up till it's dark enough.
    Me, me, me...

I always thought it was a winter thing, what with the darkness required to see it properly. Far enough north in summer and it never really gets dark enough?

Comment

That's something I would very much like to see. Sadly it's totally cloudy here so no chance at all. What's the prognosis for the next few days?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        I always thought it was a winter thing, what with the darkness required to see it properly. Far enough north in summer and it never really gets dark enough?
        Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
        That's something I would very much like to see. Sadly it's totally cloudy here so no chance at all. What's the prognosis for the next few days?
        Much easier to see in winter but I have seen it in summer when it was particularly bright. Where I am am it doesn't get fully dark so may be a showstopper depending on how active but still worth a look. The next couple of days if you get clear skies get outside you never know.
        Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          You can get same effect anytime of the day with a 100 MT yield bomb...

Comment

I'll keep me eyes peeled
            (\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Allegedly with a strong display the full moon isn't a factor, so as long as it does actually get dark it would be visible... and even in midsummer the whole of the UK gets dark at night (well maybe some of the outlying islands but they hardly count).
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Allegedly with a strong display the full moon isn't a factor, so as long as it does actually get dark it would be visible... and even in midsummer the whole of the UK gets dark at night (well maybe some of the outlying islands but they hardly count).
                That's not really true. As Cliphead says, where he is it doesn't get completely dark. This is because places north of the Scottish border are close enough to the arctic circle (where the sun sits at midnight) to get a little light.

Typically a blue area of light, sometimes with clouds visible, due north. Which is itself unusual.

When I was a student I calculated that this had to be true from observations and use of spherical geometry. I went up to Scotland to prove my theory- and I was right

I felt like Newton or Galileo..

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                  . Which is itself unusual.

When I was a student I calculated that this had to be true from observations and use of spherical geometry. I went up to Scotland to prove my theory- and I was right

And how many have a thought, but then go out to do the measurement ?

not many. so well done indeed.
                  you might well be the best scientist on cuk
                  (\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                    That's not really true. As Cliphead says, where he is it doesn't get completely dark. This is because places north of the Scottish border are close enough to the arctic circle (where the sun sits at midnight) to get a little light.

Typically a blue area of light, sometimes with clouds visible, due north. Which is itself unusual.

The theory that drinking copious amounts of Scottish beer has similar effects to English beer?
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X