• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

best way of putting consultancy gigs on your CV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best way of putting consultancy gigs on your CV

I'm running a gig with a (fairly) well-known consultancy company, which needs my services for one of their clients.

From a CV writing perspective, what do you think it's the best way to write it down? I'd like to have both the consultancy company name and the client. I was thinking something like:

"from xxx to yyy - Consultancy Company

Projects:
    from xxx to zzz (this is in case I get other gigs via them): Client 1"

Anything that may lead this to be seen badly by recruiters/agents? I can't think of anything, but I'm not experienced enough in contracting world...

So long as you're not subject to an NDA about client's customer base et al I can't see a problem with that style. Really with a CV you just need to present evidence that you have skills and experience, in an efficient and professional manner.

Comment

The consultancy I am working for is a tiny set up and no one will know them but the client is a global blue chip so I am quite happy to just put the client down. The work I delivered and can evidence was for them so I don't see the point of putting the consultancy in as they were just body shopping. You wouldn't put the agent down for a gig would you?

Totally off topic but working for a consultancy on multiple clients is a bit of a red flag for IR35. That is what their permies do, move from client to client as the core business of the consultancy. It would be an easy starting point for HMRC to point argue you are 'employed' by the consultancy and are in an enduring role. MoO could be a problem as well if they use you as part of their sales porfolio and expect you to be there for the next client etc.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Totally off topic but working for a consultancy on multiple clients is a bit of a red flag for IR35. That is what their permies do, move from client to client as the core business of the consultancy. It would be an easy starting point for HMRC to point argue you are 'employed' by the consultancy and are in an enduring role. MoO could be a problem as well if they use you as part of their sales porfolio and expect you to be there for the next client etc.
        I thought about this - although my contract is absolutely clear (and I know this can happen) that it's for a single project - and if the projects ends earlier than expected contract can be terminated without any notice. If I take another contract via them for another project, it's a completely different thing. Contract also covers other IR35 aspects (substitution, I can undertake other jobs, I'm using my personal laptop, had to take insurance, I'm financially liable for failures) - and IR35 review has been passed (though I know working practices >>> contract, but for now they are OK).

I was also considering PCG membership and / or Tax Insurance from QDOS, but that's another thing

Comment

Originally posted by manubbo View Post
          I'm running a gig with a (fairly) well-known consultancy company, which needs my services for one of their clients.

From a CV writing perspective, what do you think it's the best way to write it down? I'd like to have both the consultancy company name and the client. I was thinking something like:

"from xxx to yyy - Consultancy Company

Projects:
          from xxx to zzz (this is in case I get other gigs via them): Client 1"

Anything that may lead this to be seen badly by recruiters/agents? I can't think of anything, but I'm not experienced enough in contracting world...
          "XXX to YYY - Client via Consultancy"?

My first permie job was with a consultancy, so my CV says:

XXX to YYYY - Consultancy
          One liner about role there and time spent. Key projects include:
          aaa to bbb - Client
          ccc to ddd - Client

----

At the moment, though, you only have one project with the consultancy, so I wouldn't bother having a consultancy section and then a company section within that. I would just put both names in the headline.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I was also considering PCG membership and / or Tax Insurance from QDOS, but that's another thing
            You don't already have these? Are you mad?
            "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

I thought about this - although my contract is absolutely clear (and I know this can happen) that it's for a single project - and if the projects ends earlier than expected contract can be terminated without any notice. If I take another contract via them for another project, it's a completely different thing. Contract also covers other IR35 aspects (substitution, I can undertake other jobs, I'm using my personal laptop, had to take insurance, I'm financially liable for failures) - and IR35 review has been passed (though I know working practices >>> contract, but for now they are OK).

But the main driver is your working practices and how the client sees you. Being in an enduring role with the expectation that you will do the next contract and offered as part of their standard offering could make you a disguised permie regardless of what the contract says. If the client turns up to an investigation and says 'Ah yes he is a key part of our standard solution' you are screwed.

We have contractors here that have worked on different clients for the consultancy and their attitude very quickly changes to expect the consultancy place them with next client.

I don't think IR35 insurance or PCG is another thing. In your situation it is absolutely essential and am a bit surprised you don't have them already... but anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                But the main driver is your working practices and how the client sees you. Being in an enduring role with the expectation that you will do the next contract and offered as part of their standard offering could make you a disguised permie regardless of what the contract says. If the client turns up to an investigation and says 'Ah yes he is a key part of our standard solution' you are screwed.

We have contractors here that have worked on different clients for the consultancy and their attitude very quickly changes to expect the consultancy place them with next client.

I don't think IR35 insurance or PCG is another thing. In your situation it is absolutely essential and am a bit surprised you don't have them already... but anyway...
                Another thing related to the CV question. QDOS insurance is backdated and I was waiting advice from my accountant on how to put money in my company account before setting a new payment out (as by now I've still got no payment, and first invoice will only cover expenditures).

Thanks for your suggestions.

Comment

The majority of my contracts are through consultancies and although I don't put the names of companies where I have worked on my CV I will put the name of the consultancy if they're well known and respected (so basically there are no names!!!) What I do put is just the industry and the consultancy name. At an interview I'll talk about the companies where I worked.
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Fair enough. Just don't take your situation for granted. Qdos can't defend the indefensible. anyway..... back to the original question..

IMO you demonstrating your ability to deliver and that was ultimately to the end client and would think in many cases they will be known whereas the consultancy may not so a big end client will add more kudos. Cv is to show delivered skills not to document your contractual situation or pay process if that makes sense.

I guess if the converse is true if the consultancy is well known and could help your cause then use that option. In my situation it is a micro consultancy so no use to me.
                    Last edited by northernladuk; 11 July 2013, 09:16.

Comment

Working...
                    X