• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Piper Alpha - Rest in Peace

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Piper Alpha - Rest in Peace

Just got the chance to watch the documentary on this last night. Dreadful business. I knew a guy who was killed on there too, and he actually got a mention in the programme. Lovely fella too.
    God Bless those who went through it. The thought of leaping 175 feet into darkness just on the off-chance you will hit water is truly daunting. I suppose when the alternative is being burned it makes that choice a bit easier, but even so.

For those who didn't catch it I would recommend seeing it on iPlayer. Harrowing but worth watching IMHO.
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Watched this too.
    Listening to the guy on one of the rescue boats who was 40feet back from the front of his ship, and behind glass but still had to pull back due to the heat, and then realising there were guys still on the platform who survived, amazing.

Comment

I watched it also. My dad used to work offshore and was on the Claymore rig, just up the pipe from Piper Alpha (but not when it blew up). Often Piper Alpha had too much gas to handle and they would push it up to the Claymore. He said the whole rig would shake as the gas made its way up to the flare. You could always spot Piper Alpha because it always had the biggest flair.
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
      X