• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recycling

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recycling

Walking to the station this morning I admired the devotion of the residents for recycling. General rubbish is black bags and wheelie bins. Recycle cans nicely washed in clear bags along with paper wrapping; bottles washed, cardboard flattened and parcelled up neater than my Christmas wrapping. This is opposite to Paddy who chucks everything in one bag risking the £10 council fine. Along comes the privatised rubbish truck and all rubbish, recycled or not gets chucked in the same.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Walking to the station this morning I admired the devotion of the residents for recycling. General rubbish is black bags and wheelie bins. Recycle cans nicely washed in clear bags along with paper wrapping; bottles washed, cardboard flattened and parcelled up neater than my Christmas wrapping. This is opposite to Paddy who chucks everything in one bag risking the £10 council fine. Along comes the privatised rubbish truck and all rubbish, recycled or not gets chucked in the same.
    Washing the cans and bottles? How much time to the council expect us all to have on our hands?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

You realise that one lorry can have multiple compartments right?

I would wash glass things but I have to pay for the water to d it with; it's much more efficient if they wash everything their end. Which they do.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        You realise that one lorry can have multiple compartments right?

I would wash glass things but I have to pay for the water to d it with; it's much more efficient if they wash everything their end. Which they do.
        Not this one, black bag in one hand, recycled in the other and both crushed together.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Not this one, black bag in one hand, recycled in the other and both crushed together.
          don't worry they stack all the recyclables up in a yard for and either send them to India for recycling or set fire to them and claim on the insurance.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Everything went into a black bin until recently (as they only collected metal, glass & newpsapers).

Now we also have a green bin. Evrything that used to go into the black bin now goes in the green bin. The black bin is now for plastics and card.

Plastics confuse me though. I generally look for the recycleable logo that is embossed somewhere on the plastic container / package. If it's there, into the bin it goes. It appears that not all recycleable plastics are recycled by our local authority though. Only certain ones & recently the collection have started getting shirty about the wrong kinds of recycleable plastics in the green bin.

It's all becoming a real faff.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              Washing the cans and bottles? How much time to the council expect us all to have on our hands?
              Well, if you don't wash the containers and they are left in an open bin (as is the case here) they will attract wermin.

Comment

Our bins are humming at the moment, hot nappies.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I have a brown box in the kitchen for food waste, which then goes into the big brown bin along with garden waste. Plus a green bin for general stuff, and a big blue box for paper - and I think plastic bottles, but I don't tend to have many of them.

I don't have a problem with it up to a point. The thing that annoys me is at least 90% of the paper I'm throwing away every fortnight is either junk mail,or other stuff that I could do without or could be emailed.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

There are 3 parts to the operation...
                    1) Getting everyone to sort their rubbish
                    2) Provide a service to collect sorted materials
                    3) Having somewhere to take and process everything

Maybe they got #1 done early. Maybe they're not allowed to spend the money on #2 & #3 until they know there is a demand i.e #1 is happening. Maybe #2 & #3 don't have the capacity for the whole town, so some streets still get everything taken to landfill in the interim.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X