• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Baby boom!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baby boom!

Baby boom Britain! Highest number of births since 1971 fuelled by migrants and older mothers

Nearly 724,000 babies born in England and Wales last year
    Quarter were babies born to immigrant mothers, new figures reveal
    And almost 30,000 were women over the age of 40
    Highest number of births since tail end of the 1960s baby boom

By Steve Doughty, Social Affairs Correspondent

PUBLISHED: 17:58 GMT, 10 July 2013 | UPDATED: 00:58 GMT, 11 July 2013

The number of babies born last year was the highest in more than 40 years, according to official figures.

There were nearly 724,000 newborn children in England and Wales, the greatest number since 1971, at the tail end of the 1960s baby boom.

A key reason for the rising numbers of babies is the large-scale immigration of the past decade, which has brought in mainly young men and women ready to have families.
    Baby boom: The number of babies born in Britain was the highest for 40 years

Baby boom: The number of babies born in Britain in 2012 was the highest for 40 years, new figures reveal
    graphic

Newly-arrived migrants also tend to have higher birth-rates than people in the existing population.

The impact of immigration on childbirth was underlined by another rise in the number of babies born to women who were themselves born abroad.
    Impact: The increase was partly fuelled by a high number of babies born to mothers who were themselves born abroad

Impact: The increase was partly fuelled by a high number of babies born to mothers who were themselves born abroad

The share of babies born to immigrant mothers went up again, to 25.9 per cent, well over a quarter of all births.

Another factor pushing up birthrates was the growing trend for women of 40 and older to have children.

Numbers of babies born to 40-somethings are now running at five times the level of the mid-1970s and reached almost 30,000 last year.

The leap in 40-plus-year-olds having families is a result of large numbers of women delaying having families because of education, careers, mortgages and their own unstable relationships, and then trying to catch up as they reach the end of their childbearing years.

The figures released by the Office for National Statistics show the 724,674 babies were born in England and Wales in 2012, 0.8 per cent more than in 2011.

For Britain as a whole, the increase was slightly less, a 0.6 per cent rise to 812,970. The lesser increase across the United Kingdom was a result of falling numbers of births in Scotland.

A report by the ONS said there was no single reason for the increase, but pointed to a rise in childbirth among women in their late 20s, and ‘increases in the numbers of foreign-born women who tend to have higher fertility than UK-born women’.

It also said there is a possibility of ‘Government policy and the economic climate indirectly influencing individuals’ decisions around childbearing.’

Sir Andrew Green of the Migrationwatch think tank said that the figures showed how immigration is pushing up population and stretching public services.
    New data shows there has been a marked increase in the number of births in the paste decade

New data shows there has been a marked increase in the number of births in the paste decade
    The number of women in their 40s having babies has increased fivefold since the 1970s

The number of women in their 40s having babies has increased fivefold since the 1970s

‘If anyone wonders why our maternity wards are under such pressure, this is the answer,’ he said.

‘The official projections show that just over two thirds of our population increase is a result of immigration. Part of this is new arrivals make a contribution to birthrates, as these figures show.’

Numbers of births in England and Wales were last higher than in 2012 in 1971, when 783,155 children were born in England and Wales. At the time birthrates were going down sharply following the peak of the baby boom in 1964.

The lowest number of childbirths in any year since World War Two came in 1977, when there were 569,259 births.

In 2001 there were just under 600,000 children born in England and Wales. Subsequent years have seen birth numbers rising along with immigration that has added three million people to the population.

Read more: Baby boom Britain! Highest number of births since 1971 fuelled by migrants and older mothers | Mail Online
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Tell us about 'degenerate art'. Go on, educate us!
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by KaiserWilly View Post
      And almost 30,000 were women over the age of 40
      Right, thats MILF'ing out of the question then....
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I will keep a careful eye on my children born to an immigrant mother, in case they prove to be a social problem.

Comment

And your point is?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
          Beer
          is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
          Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Good news for a change! Britain will not suffer from the demographic timebomb that is about to plague the rest of Europe
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Do you post anything else apart from Little Nazi ranting about Johnny Foreigner??

Maybe about the weather? Or sport? Or what you had for tea? Or the best curry you've ever had?
              Last edited by cojak; 11 July 2013, 14:19. Reason: The twat isn't British!
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                Do you post anything else apart from Little British ranting about Johnny Foreigner??

Maybe about the weather? Or sport? Or what you had for tea? Or the best curry you've ever had?
                He's a very limited (in all senses) common or garden fascist.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by KaiserWilly View Post

TL;DR
                  OK, that's what the Daily Mail thinks, but what is YOUR opinion on the subject?
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    He's a very limited (in all senses) common or garden fascist.
                    I don't think he's a fascist at all, just a small minded twat.

Comment

Working...
                    X