• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doing work not in the job profile

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing work not in the job profile

Hi All,

I understand from reading the forum that doing work not in the job profile is a bad idea. I am interested in whether the amount of time doing work not specified affects how bad of an idea this is.

The situation:

I have a 3 month contract picking apples.

I have been requested to spend 2 days transporting people across the nearby river using a rowing boat (then I'll be back to picking apples).

It feels a bit petty refusing to do it, but I want to understand if doing 2 days of non related work would be a really bad idea.

How should I handle this situation?

Appreciate your insight.

Cheers,
    Untouchable1

Waiting for Eternal Optimist to share a story..
    I am Brad. I do more than the needful and drive the market rates up by not bobbing my head.

Comment

It depends. There's a massive difference between me being able to TELL you to something else, and me ASKING you if you'd mind doing something else. If it's the latter, then get the request in writing and ensure it's clear that you could have refused if you'd wanted to.
      ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Untouchable1 View Post
        Hi All,

I understand from reading the forum that doing work not in the job profile is a bad idea. I am interested in whether the amount of time doing work not specified affects how bad of an idea this is.

The situation:

I have been requested to spend 2 days transporting people across the nearby river using a rowing boat (then I'll be back to picking apples).

It feels a bit petty refusing to do it, but I want to understand if doing 2 days of non related work would be a really bad idea.

Appreciate your insight.
        Go an IT course, learn about IR35 and go IT contracting if I were you. Sound like a right set of bastards these apple picking clients.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Go an IT course, learn about IR35 and go IT contracting if I were you. Sound like a right set of bastards these apple picking clients.

Terrible
          ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

I was thinking that with careful training and support, you could move into apple picking one day.

Comment

Just to answer the OP's question. Will HMRC give a damn how long it was for they have you over a barrel in an IR35 investigation and are trying to prove you are a disguised permie and pull back a heap load of tax off you? No they won't. The fact you accepted work that you are not contracted to do at all (just like a permie does) you are an easy target.

It is better to be offered a large piece of work that has it's own deliverables and agreement. That way you could argue it is more business from the client. Doing a quick job will be much harder to defend and make you look like part of the organisation.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Just to answer the OP's question. Will HMRC give a damn how long it was for they have you over a barrel in an IR35 investigation and are trying to prove you are a disguised permie and pull back a heap load of tax off you? No they won't. The fact you accepted work that you are not contracted to do at all (just like a permie does) you are an easy target.

It is better to be offered a large piece of work that has it's own deliverables and agreement. That way you could argue it is more business from the client. Doing a quick job will be much harder to defend and make you look like part of the organisation.
                HONK!

Comment

Originally posted by Untouchable1 View Post

The situation:

Appreciate your insight.
                  Tell the client the truth - you are not insured for rowing passengers across the river as you haven't had the correct training.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

That's a good get out clause actually. Sorry I'm only insured to do what's in my deliverables. Complete rubbish but it's better that'll saying, no that makes me look like a permy and ill end up paying more tax
                    "You can't climb the ladder of success, with your hands in the pockets"
                    Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

Working...
                    X