• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another study worth nothing...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another study worth nothing...

I wonder if half the time anyone on either end of the phone actually understands the technology they are either asking the questions on or for that matter answering...

IT contractor pay uplift from the Cloud seen as temporary :: Contractor UK

Having been in this scene for a few years I can say the following.

The base technology is not the differentiator. But the methodology is a paradigm shift.
    Going cloud does nothing to reduce your need for IT staff, Only the need to manage physical tin...
    Going cloud properly takes more than just calling your VM environment a cloud solution.
    Going cloud is the bigest transition a business could ever make and will take many years not a few months.

The real cash cow in the Cloud hasn't even been found yet because:
    a) The effort to completely rethink the way company IT systems work is far is too hard for most of the current market to fathom. (Lets face it we are the idiots that caused the mess today in the first place!)
    b) The guys that got to own virtualisation are from the wrong background so unsurprisingly most of the companies that went virtual never gained the idea of what you can really do with the technology. We can bare witness to this by the shear number of over spawned un-owned machines that I find laying around buring resources every time I start a new Data centre transition...

Unix was the home of batch jobs and network shares and on demand processes. The wintel lot are mostly kindergarden compared to what I used to do 15 years ago with a bunch of shell scripts and a process map...

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    I wonder if half the time anyone on either end of the phone actually understands the technology...
    that much?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      that much?
      I was being kind

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
        I wonder if half the time anyone on either end of the phone actually understands the technology they are either asking the questions on or for that matter answering...

IT contractor pay uplift from the Cloud seen as temporary :: Contractor UK

Having been in this scene for a few years I can say the following.

The base technology is not the differentiator. But the methodology is a paradigm shift.
        Going cloud does nothing to reduce your need for IT staff, Only the need to manage physical tin...
        Going cloud properly takes more than just calling your VM environment a cloud solution.
        Going cloud is the bigest transition a business could ever make and will take many years not a few months.

The real cash cow in the Cloud hasn't even been found yet because:
        a) The effort to completely rethink the way company IT systems work is far is too hard for most of the current market to fathom. (Lets face it we are the idiots that caused the mess today in the first place!)
        b) The guys that got to own virtualisation are from the wrong background so unsurprisingly most of the companies that went virtual never gained the idea of what you can really do with the technology. We can bare witness to this by the shear number of over spawned un-owned machines that I find laying around buring resources every time I start a new Data centre transition...

Unix was the home of batch jobs and network shares and on demand processes. The wintel lot are mostly kindergarden compared to what I used to do 15 years ago with a bunch of shell scripts and a process map...
        I was doing all that tulip on mainframes more than 25 years ago...
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

nearly cried this morning one of the order teams on a legacy system has been using the expected ship date as an order on hold flag (without asking IT). So now the data is fed into a global reporting system important people are upset because they are using a date in the 5th century. Their 'simple' fix ?

add another date field they populate as well.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            nearly cried this morning one of the order teams on a legacy system has been using the expected ship date as an order on hold flag (without asking IT). So now the data is fed into a global reporting system important people are upset because they are using a date in the 5th century. Their 'simple' fix ?

add another date field they populate as well.
            You just made me spit my lunch over my keyboard This sort of dumbness is why cloud computing or the cleansing of legacy estates will keep the industry fed for a decade or more...

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              Yes but then mainframes went almost extinct and whole generation that cared about how resources are used retired. The next 20 years was the rise of the PISSEE and the mass clamour of an entire generation that have no clue about switching off unused processes or only running what you need when you need it...

Now look at the average IT estate and ask why have the machines are spinning Idle for 80% of their lives...

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                WHS except with minis.

And did someone mention transactions and logical units of work?

and more like 30+ years ago
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                X