• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

San Francisco plane crash:

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

San Francisco plane crash:

TV station apologises for broadcasting fake racially offensive pilot names

Tori Campbell, a presenter on KTVU, a San Francisco Bay Area station, read the fake names on air on Friday. Her report was accompanied with a graphic listing the fake names.

“KTVU has just learned the names of the four pilots who were on board the flight,” Ms Campbell said.

“They are
    Captain Sum Ting Wong,
    Wi Tu Lo,
    Ho Lee Fuk
    and
    Bang Ding Ow.

And the NTSB has confirmed these are the names of the pilots on board flight 214 when it crashed. We are working to determine exactly what roles each of them played during the landing on Saturday.”

The report was read out despite the names of both pilots being confirmed earlier this week as Lee Jeong-min and Lee Gangguk, both from South Korea.
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

KUATB

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...k-autocue.html

Not too far back though you want to stay in the plane
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

I can see why some people might consider that prank offensive, but why is it _racially_ offensive?
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        I can see why some people might consider that prank offensive, but why is it _racially_ offensive?
        Fuk Nos?

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          Because it mocks Chinese/Korean names. I can't imagine most Koreans would actually be offended though.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            Because it mocks Chinese/Korean names. I can't imagine most Koreans would actually be offended though.
            So, South Park can be done for it as well?

Comment

The only place the word "racially" is used is in the Telegraph story. It's not in the NTSB statement nor in the TV station's apology.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Fred View Post
                Fuk Nos?
                Fuk Nos doesn't know either. His friend Nos Ere Ting does though..

Comment

It's not as if these names don't exist in real life

Kim Yoo-Suk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.oddee.com/item_96755.aspx
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Prof. Wan King - United Kingdom | LinkedIn
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X