• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interviewing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interviewing

How do you find time for interviews if lunch time is not enough to see the prospective client and obviously they won't stay late because of you?
    Half day off vs coming up with stories?
    You can easily guess the purpose of a half-day during the week, right?

Insist on a telephone interview. It is often the agents who push for face to face.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Ok, and if it's got to be f2f?

Comment

Originally posted by p3t3 View Post
        Ok, and if it's got to be f2f?
        Half day. Just say you've got an appointment.

Comment

If I'm coming to the end of a contract, I say that I've got an interview. If I'm not coming to the end of a contract, I don't interview.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            If I'm coming to the end of a contract, I say that I've got an interview. If I'm not coming to the end of a contract, I don't interview.
            WHS

You're a business and a vital part of being a business is having customers, If the contract is coming to an end then let your current lot know that you'll be unavailable some days due to interviews and to take this into consideration when planning how you'll be handing over.
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              This ^ as long as the interview is not a ridiculous journey where the client isn't even aware of the fact that you are spending 3 three hours to get there...

However for the agents that insist of face to face crap there is a much simpler way to handle it.

Tell the agent that you are on walkabout for a few weeks on behalf of the current client and will be nowhere near the new client for several weeks. If they moan about it then tell them that you are not interested and move on.

My last stint on the bench last year made me decide that unless I get a 30 minute conference call before I commit anything up to a day of my time and considerable expense then the only face to face interview that is going to happen is if the client wants to pay £200+ for a last minute ticket out to the west country.

It will show you just how committed the client actually is to acquiring your skills...

Never had an interviewer fancy 5 hours traveling for a thirty minute face to face but I am getting far more conference calls.

Comment

Why do you care that a current client knows you're going to an interview? It might encourage them to do something about offering you a big juicy extension.
                Last edited by VectraMan; 16 July 2013, 08:38. Reason: you're not your you moron
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Yeh. Thats the thing. Current contract coming to an end maybe and last thing you want is to waste a days billing possibly trekking across the country for what could turn out to be a non-runner or a dud.

At this point, I usually find that I want to maximise any billing days I might have left with current client. So I won't do a face-to-face unless its early or late and I can still show up at current client and bill for the day.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I don't start looking until the end of my current gig, I always like some time off between them
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X