• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone we know?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone we know?

Desperate unemployed mechanic and IT worker Steve Sewell tries to sell himself on eBay with 99p starting price | Mail Online

An unemployed 58-year-old man tried to sell himself on eBay for 99p - but failed to get a single bid.

Steve Sewell, of Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, has had a range of jobs in his career - ‘from labouring to testing toilet paper’ - and went on eBay because he was prepared to do anything to get work.

The married father of two insisted that age is working against him despite anti-discrimination laws.

Looking for work: Steve Sewell, of Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, has had a range of jobs in his life - 'from labouring to testing toilet paper' - and went on eBay because he was prepared to do anything to get work
    Looking for work: Steve Sewell, of Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, has had a range of jobs in his life - 'from labouring to testing toilet paper' - and went on eBay because he was prepared to do anything to get work

He said: ‘I've had all sorts of jobs throughout my life, ranging from labouring to testing toilet paper. My family said I'm worth more than 99p but desperate times call for desperate measures.

‘They say there's no age discrimination, but there must be. All the help and support is aimed at younger people, and rightly so, but there should be more to help older people find jobs.

More...
    You can't sell my stuff! Katie Price calls police as she claims her 'gifts to ex-husband Alex Reid are being sold on eBay'
    No benefit for your third child if you're on the dole: Tories unveil controversial welfare plan
    EXCLUSIVE: Cleveland 'hero' Charles Ramsey says he's burned through donations after buying a BMW and now he's broke, jobless and homeless
    ‘The bills are mounting up and it's getting desperate now.’

After leaving school at 18, Mr Sewell qualified as an estate agent. But the bike mechanic, who has a diploma in electrical engineering, is also an IT technician and has worked at a shipyard.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

possibly? Wasn't there a poster on here who lived in Cumbria and refused to work elsewhere.....
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

That looks all extremely familiar.

Comment

99p? Even NorthernLadyUK charges more than that.

Edit: speak of the devil

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
          99p? Even NorthernLadyUK charges more than that.

Edit: speak of the devil
          Business is booming, luvvie. Nowadays I outsource the cheap end of the market to the old man (which is why it's looking rather familiar), and the really mucky stuff to MF.

Comment

Working...
          X