• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Invited to "event"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Invited to "event"

Hi All

To cut to the chase. My client has a spare ticket for a small sporting ( :P ) event taking place (hospitality ticket as well ) this weekend in London and has invited me to attend due to being an important supplier etc.

Where do I stand from an IR35 point of view do you think. Can I happily accept the invitation and book my transport / hotel through my company (presuming that is even allowable without incurring issues - will check with my accountant if it qualifies as a meeting etc :P ) or keep the acceptance of the invite as far away from my company as possible.

Just thinking from an IR35 point of view. The accounts side I can leave to my accountant to advise.

Thanks for any opinions.

There are two lines of thinking here..

1) It's a perk to a permie
    2) It's sweetener/rewarding suppliers

Try everything you can to make it look like number 2) and you are fine and dandy.

Look like number 1) and it is up to you to balance a great day out against the risk that you shouldn't really be there.

Question though. Why not keep it off the books altogether and it never happened? You are only getting a 20% discount on anything you have to spend to go to this. Don't put expenses through books, don't put it on facebook and delete the mails. Sorted.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      There are two lines of thinking here..

1) It's a perk to a permie
      2) It's sweetener/rewarding suppliers

Try everything you can to make it look like number 2) and you are fine and dandy.

Look like number 1) and it is up to you to balance a great day out against the risk that you shouldn't really be there.

Question though. Why not keep it off the books altogether and it never happened? You are only getting a 20% discount on anything you have to spend to go to this. Don't put expenses through books, don't put it on facebook and delete the mails. Sorted.
      Its well and truly in the world of number two and the client would back this up as well. Already asked the accountant the question so not sure how "official" I have already made it. I can't delete his emails

Comment

Fill yer bloody boots then. Keep evidence of this in your business files as well. Being treated as a business and different to permie is a very nice IR35 tick.

but...

Don't get pissed. If you are gonna get pissed make sure at all times it is a little less pissed than your client.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Fill yer bloody boots then. Keep evidence of this in your business files as well. Being treated as a business and different to permie is a very nice IR35 tick.

but...

Don't get pissed. If you are gonna get pissed make sure at all times it is a little less pissed than your client.
          Wise words

Thanks for your help

Comment

Working...
          X