• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Barclays; how many people will be fired to pay this fine?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barclays; how many people will be fired to pay this fine?

BBC News - Barclays' $453m fine for US energy market-rigging upheld

WTF is the point of fining the company? They just go on a cost cutting exercise and a load of innocent people get fired. Fine the perpetrators (which seems to have happened happily) AND the directors personally; give the directors the accountability that goes with their pay, but don't fine an entity that employs lots of honest people.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Honest people in a bank?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Honest people in a bank?

OK, I know it requires a leap of imagination, but there might be a few.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        OK, I know it requires a leap of imagination, but there might be a few.
        Are they hiding in the stationery cupboard?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          Are they hiding in the stationery cupboard?
          If so they are probably just nicking pens
          "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

WTF is the point of fining the company? They just go on a cost cutting exercise and a load of innocent people get fired. Fine the perpetrators (which seems to have happened happily) AND the directors personally; give the directors the accountability that goes with their pay, but don't fine an entity that employs lots of honest people.
            More importantly at what point did the yanks become so clean they had the right to fine a UK owned company for competing? I wonder how many regulatory issues we would find if we started kicking the stones around a few if the US banks UK subsidiaries... I guess everyone forgot about the fact that Lehmans was rotten to the core...

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
              More importantly at what point did the yanks become so clean they had the right to fine a UK owned company for competing? I wonder how many regulatory issues we would find if we started kicking the stones around a few if the US banks UK subsidiaries... I guess everyone forgot about the fact that Lehmans was rotten to the core...
              They aren't. They just fine foreign banks as an example (and for the economic benefit) of theirs.
              Last edited by eek; 17 July 2013, 09:34.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

WTF is the point of fining the company?
                It's fine measure, but should not be the only one - criminal prosecutions of people who rigged the market shoudl have also happened, as well as mass firings of top directors who had such poor controls that allowed rigging to take place.

Comment

Don't be silly Mich, they'll just apply an account charge of £5 to all their hundred million UK customers to cover it - that's what AtW would do anyway.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

This fine is on top of the £60m they have to pay for rigging LIBOR last year

Comment

Working...
                    X