• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Private health insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Private health insurance

I'm in the final stages of leaving permie-dom and need to sort out private health insurance. Currently the wife and I are covered on my company's policy (Bupa), so I'm looking to keep this going.

I guess I can claim this back somehow on my Ltd company, but the accountant can sort that out.

Any recommendations\tips on PMI? I've done a price comparison and prices seem reasonable. I'll also give Bupa a ring to see what they can do.

Is the policy cost affected by discolsing the words "Dalek, Monkey or Lizard" when applying???

It might help more than mentioning Badgers Armpit!
    For which I doubt there is a cure

Comment

Standard Life are uniquely offering to "transfer" your existing policy, i.e. you don't commence another 2-5 year moratorium period on changing supplier.

They are not the cheapest but are very far from the most expensive. Don't use them myself so cannot warrant their claims procedure.

Previously used AXA PPP myself but their premiums are now completely loony and have switched to Freedom.

Comment

My current co used to be with PPP but changed to BUPA. Could do with a firm that don't worry about previous claims. I've had a couple of bionic knees done (ok, ACL's to be more precise) on the current policy.

I'll have a look at standard life, cheers. Also hoping that BUPA can sort something out in relation to the current work policy.

Comment

I believe Standard Life are the only PHI provider who will carry out a policy transfer and cover pre-existing conditions from the word go (hence they are not anywhere in the running for a "value" policy). If it is essential to you that your existing claims continue to be covered your only options are Standard Life or come to an arrangement with BUPA.

Comment

[QUOTE=Badgers Armpit]I guess I can claim this back somehow on my Ltd company, but the accountant can sort that out.
            QUOTE]

AFAIK this is a taxable benefit so you don't gain too much (at all?) from doing it through the company. I asked the same question a while back and have subsequently just done it from my personal funds since. Need to check though. I'm sure you'll find more threads on this if you search.
            "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Yes, it is a BIK and you will pay tax on the amount of the benefit if YourCo provides it.

Comment

Working...
              X