• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another 2 year rule question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another 2 year rule question

I have been on the same site for nearly 2 years but the contracts i have had have varied between 1 and 3 months with 'breaks' in between one of which was 5 weeks, my agency told me not to worry as each contract has had different managers and assignments and I have not had continuous employment, is he right?
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Erm, no. Same location, and same client so it has predominately been your place of work. If you were off-site for roughly 40% of the time, you can ignore it but not otherwise. Details are buried somewhere on the HMRC website if you want to dig it out.

And what's "employment" then...?
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

What if i get another contract for a month or so and go back?

If the worst comes to the worst can i just continue with my umbrella sans expensess? I know this may seem an alien concept to some of the regs on here but i do realy like it here and the pay compares favourably (guv work) to what i would get elsewhere which more than makes up for the loss of expensess.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

All it means is that you can't claim travel and accomodation costs for working there after two years because it has become your "normal place of work".You don't have to leave if you don't want to. Potenitally putting yourself out of work seems a damn sily way to save expense claims

And are you another one of those who pay umbrellas to look after your business and then don't ask them to explain the rules they're working to?
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
          What if i get another contract for a month or so and go back?
          nope, that won't do. HMRC guidance is that any break needs to be for a period of at least 6 months in order to re-set the 2 year rule clock. However, if you go to the HMRC website and search for 2-year rule, then it will give you all the details, plus examples.
          Plan A is located just about here.
          If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

So Gordon Brown can treat me as an employee when it suits him for the purpose of tax but with none of the rights a 'proper' employee would have.

Comment

My case is particularly ironic as i am working for a gov department that is being outsourced in the near future and therefore by there own rules they are not allowed to fill posts with employees so they are backfilling with contractors!

Comment

60% Rule

Originally posted by XLMonkey
                nope, that won't do. HMRC guidance is that any break needs to be for a period of at least 6 months in order to re-set the 2 year rule clock. However, if you go to the HMRC website and search for 2-year rule, then it will give you all the details, plus examples.
                I think that the break would need to be 14.4 months or 60% of 24 months to re-set the clock. 6 months won't do.

Of course you could always change employer ....

Comment

So when the department is outsourced to a private company assuming they want me would that count? would i need to move agency?

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
                    and therefore by there own rules
                    their
                    We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Working...
                    X