• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Computer People (Again)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computer People (Again)

You really have to admire them, they remind me of the ugly mate who always scored a chick at the local club cause he had no shame and would keep going round the dancefloor until he found a bed for the night.

Just got a call from them asking if I was looking, I said no just started a new 6 month contract, he say's what's your notice period and I say 4 weeks but I'm not looking to move. He asks if I know anyone interested and I ask what's the job and it turns out to be a trade floor support role (Nothing like I've ever done) and I say no, don't know anyone that does that. Then to give him his due, he asks if I my current employers have any more contract opportunities available. I'm sure God (Or his mum) loves him.
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Originally posted by snaw
    You really have to admire them, they remind me of the ugly mate who always scored a chick at the local club cause he had no shame and would keep going round the dancefloor until he found a bed for the night.

Just got a call from them asking if I was looking, I said no just started a new 6 month contract, he say's what's your notice period and I say 4 weeks but I'm not looking to move. He asks if I know anyone interested and I ask what's the job and it turns out to be a trade floor support role (Nothing like I've ever done) and I say no, don't know anyone that does that. Then to give him his due, he asks if I my current employers have any more contract opportunities available. I'm sure God (Or his mum) loves him.

Careful snaw, that guy might call your manager in 5 months time just before your notice period offering a really cheap cheap contractor for your role ... Ive seen this happen before ...

Comment

Yes that's a classic one.

They ask you when your contract ends, what the project is about , the number of contractors onsite, the technologies involved etc. Then they ask you what rate you are looking for and say they will call you when your contract is about to end.

Then they call the client near your contract end asking for the head of software development. They say they have heard that the project needs more people and they reel off all the info you gave plus copious bulltulip and offer very experienced staff at lower rates than you were looking for.

cnuts.

Comment

Sounds like they are just being shrewed businessmen.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
          Sounds like they are just being shrewed businessmen.
          Nah, shrewd is when you've been taken for a ride and come away thinking you got a bargain. This was just quite clearly desperate. I guess it works occasionally, the same way that the old 'fancy a feck, NO, oh well I suppose a blow job is out of the question then?' line must work sometimes.
          Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw
            I'm sure God (Or his mum) loves him.
            And his bank manager, and probably his boss too. It probably works often enough.

I had a similar call from them a few weeks back. They wasted no time going from sounding genuinely helpful ("when are you available" etc.), to fishing for contacts, and when you don't tell them they hang up as quick as they can.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
            X